Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider / grate size questions

Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
edited September 2011 in EGGtoberfest
i have been at this egg thing for a few weeks and have a long way to go before getting this thing right. each tiime i cook something different, i learn more tricks of the trade. that said, i have done chicken, brisket, and pork butt. tonight was flank steak. i tried the sear and dwell method (i did a 2 minute sear, flip and 2 minute sear, flip and 2.5 minute dwell). My sear was half baked and my final product was rare since i didnt really load up on the lump and had about 1/2 a full load to start with. I learned that searing requires an awful lot of lump if your trying to get it right in the BGE out of the box setup. so i turn to the forum and out comes the spider. Heres the questions. If i buy the spider and the bge 13 inch grate, how many steaks can i get on that little 13 inch grate to sear at one time? are there other grates available that are slightly bigger to increase the number of steaks you can sear? are there any descent lower cost alternatives to this spider / 13 inch grate combination?

thanx for everyones help on my other questions. 

Greygoose

Comments