Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chipped glaze on new egg.....

JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks--- I just posted photos of my new egg and homemade mates earlier today and this evening I've noticed a small chip at the thermometer hole---- looks like a sloppy drill job.  Anyway, it is small and covered when the thermo is in place, but it is new and I'm worried about it getting worse.  I sent a message to BGE, but thought I'd ask for input here.  Is this a fixit thing or because it is brand new, a replace the dome thing?  

Thanks!
·

Comments

• SpoonSpoon Posts: 328
    I could be wrong, but I doubt they would replace the dome for that. If it gets worse they probably will. But I know it's really frustrating when you buy something new and it's not perfect. Especially for the price we pay for an egg. I would check with your dealer before BGE Corp though.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
    ·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    I could put a little JB Weld around the hole there, but as you said, its new and I hate for it not to be perfect from the beginning--- at least.  And I hate to start making repairs a week in.  I noticed on the BGE site that chips on the exterior are not covered--- probably because so many dealers nick and ding them.  This dealer wasn't the warm and fuzzy type, but I guess I could ask.  I already sent the message to BGE, so we'll see what they say.  
    ·
  • I seriously doubt that it is covered or that it will develop into a problem.   If it does, you have a lifetime warranty, so nothing to worry about.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 1,579
    It's only cosmetic, but I understand.  I mean, you shell out some serious $$$ so you want it to be perfect.  Maybe your dealer would swap a top with you and use yours on his demo Egg?    Personally, I don't think it is worth the hassle though.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
    ·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    If I just wanted to patch that spot to protect it, would you recommend a dab of JB Weld and some touch-up paint?  Other ideas?  I saw somewhere they make BGE touchup paint as well.

The good thing is that it is invisible with the thermo in place--- I just don't want to risk further chipping when I remove/replace it. 
    ·
  • There should be Touch up paint available from your dealer, and if not them then Egg directly, it won't necessarily fix the chips but will at least seal it back up.  If it gets much worse it would likely be covered by egg warrranty

·
  • There should be Touch up paint available from your dealer, and if not them then Egg directly, it won't necessarily fix the chips but will at least seal it back up.  If it gets much worse it would likely be covered by egg warrranty

·

·

·