Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My egg is cracked!

Risingjay
Risingjay Posts: 19
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

Just fired up the egg, sitting outside at the table reading my hot rod mag, wife asks me how long before the chicken goes on, I look over at my egg and notice a crack running from the base of the egg and ending 3/4's of the way up!  WHAT!  I fully inspect it and find four more cracks!  It's never been dropped and has pretty much been sitting in the same location since I bought it in December of 2010.  I'm now freaking out!  I'm not a rich man, my wife and I both work, between the two cars we own we have close to 400,000 miles on them since I can keep them going and I don't have $1,100 laying around that I can spend on a whim.

Two things:

1.  Has this happen to anyone else?

2.  What should I do?

It's obvious it hasn't been dropped because of the way the cracks run.  I've done nothing but praise my egg and run around boasting about it like I know everyone here does.  I LOVE my egg.  LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

I'm just blown away right now.  Very dissapointed.

Jason

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    See your dealer. They should replace it under warranty. That is what I did when my fire box and fire grate broke. No problems.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Sorry about the blank reply.  This new forum won't let me reply from my phone.  Anyhow, my egg has a cracked dome and it still keeps chugging away.  BGE sent me a brand new dome, which sits in my spare room until called upon.  Call BGE and they should take care of you.
  • I'm going to keep you all updated on this.  BIGGREENEGG has quite a reputaition for quality.  I am trying to stay calm but I get fired up again.  I'm hopeing that this thread will have a happy ending and that BIGGREENEGG comes out looking like a champ like we all know they are.  I have never been so into cooking in my life and honestly, ever since we got it my marrige has been even better.  In a strange way it has brought my wife and I closer since we spend more time together prepareing our dinners.  She was the one who turned me onto the egg and it's just another small reason I love her.  And trust me, there are many more reasons. 

There are five things important in my life.......in order: God, wife, kids, pets, and my egg.

• Call (800) 793-2292 and speak to Duane in support.  

Please keep us posted!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Email Bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com. Attach a picture. The warranty on the egg is amazing.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited September 2011

I wonder what caused it to crack in the first place?

Must've been during the molding process ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Please keep us posted.  I would like to know if they resolve this pretty quickly for you. 
    San Diego, CA
  • First report,

I called Dave at Caribean Pools (Dealer) here up in the burbs of Chicago and he was more than willing to help me.  I sent him pics of the egg and he will be starting the process.  I do have to stress though that the conversation I had with him calmed me down and made me feel like a valued customer. 

So here is the question.....should I continue to cook on the Egg even after I have sent the pics in?  I've got some steaks ready.  The only thing I use my Weber for now is to store my Eggcessories in. :)

Thanks again Dave (Caribean Pools) for your great assistance. 

Jason

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Glad to hear your dealer is taking good care of you I think you can cook on it, no problem. You probably had been and not known it.  
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • I found a crack in my egg about a year ago.  It was replaced with no questions.
  • @Risingjay:  I discovered a crack in my base a couple weeks ago.  Contacted the dealer, attached some photos and a new base is on its way.  Don't be discouraged.  It will be replaced.  Cracks happen rarely, but just do every so often.  Its just nice to know BGE will stand behind their product.   Keep cooking on it until the new base arrives, although I think I would avoid nuke temp cooks.   I've had at least one Egg for many years and this is the first time one cracked on me.  It won't happen to you again.  Don't worry. 
  • Thanks guys for letting me know your experiences with BGE.  It is good to hear so many positives about BGE's customer service.  I'm still waiting for a response from BGE through the dealer but I'm sure I'll get an answer soon.

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    BGE has the best customer service on Earth. You have nothing about which to worry.
  • I had a cracked EGG and continued to cook on it no problem. The replacement came within 2 weeks.

Frank
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Glad you are getting it sorted out.  Sorry that your family don't rate so high in your life.  Sad. 
  • Risingjay, You did good. I am glad to hear that your concerns are being covered. I think that you have your priorities straight.
  • Risingjay, You did good. I am glad to hear that your concerns are being covered. I think that you have your priorities straight.
    Love It!! Chuck Testa..... LOL  ^:)^ ^:)^
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Chuck Testa!  Ha!  That's funny.  Love the commercial.  But those are my priorities and I TRY to stick to them and most of the times fail.  Anyway I'm not going to get all churchy on y'all.

Update:  I stopped in last Monday (9/19/11) and Dave didn't have any info for me although he did give me a number to call and find out.  I called and found that it had just been approved for the warranty and that they will ship it out to the dealer when they place their new order.  So good news it's approved, bad news I'm still waiting for it.

Here are some pics:

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Good deal on the warranty.  Makes it worth the price right there. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  •  Just received my base today!  I had to go to the dealer and see if it came in.  I didn't get any phone calls that it was there ready for pick up.  Earlier (September) I had to do the leg work and call find out if my base would be replaced/covered under warranty and not the dealer.  It's a shame that there are dealers out there that just care about the sale and not customer service......thanks Dave.

How long was it sitting there before I came in?  Well  one employee said a week or maybe longer, so I have no idea.

You might ask why I didn't call or stop in sooner if I wanted my base so bad.  To answer that question it's the duty of the dealer to contact the customer so that the customer is SOOOOOO HAPPPYY and spreads the word of where to buy a Green Egg so they sell more.  In the past I used to recomend them, now I tell to avoid them.

Kudos for the Greeen Egg and standing by it's AWESOME product.  Shame on Caribbean Pools for poor customer service.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Just to make sure I understand the time-line here, it took two months to get the replacement base....What about the dealer swapping one at the time they are notified and then the dealer has to work with their own ineptness.  Makes sense to me-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lousubcap-

1. Yep on the time line.

2. What makes sense doesn't apply theses days.  Sad.

• Lousubcap-

1. Yep on the time line.

2. What makes sense doesn't apply theses days.  Sad.

Sorry to hear about the experience you had with your dealer. I hope this does not sour your view of other big green egg dealers. What the dealer should have done is given you a base off of one of the display eggs that they had in the store. We always take care of the customer (even if they had purchased the egg elsewhere) while they are in the store if at all possible when it comes to warranty issues.
    Hope all is well with your new base.

Frank
  •  

Sorry to hear about the experience you had with your dealer. I hope this does not sour your view of other big green egg dealers. What the dealer should have done is given you a base off of one of the display eggs that they had in the store. We always take care of the customer (even if they had purchased the egg elsewhere) while they are in the store if at all possible when it comes to warranty issues.
    Hope all is well with your new base.

Frank

Doesn't sour my views on dealers at all, just this one.  I just won't recommend them to friends, family and strangers. 

All of us here didn't just go out and buy a cheap grill at a big box store to cook our food on.  No, we bought a product with an awesome warranty, great build quality and dealer support for a premium price.  We're not the average Joe Griller on a steel product.  We care about our food and how it's preped and cooked.  When it comes to warranty issues or even buying accessories, a dealer should know this already and treat us like such.  That's why The Big Green Egg has dealers instead of selling at big box stores.  They expect dealers to lmpw their product throughout and treat customers/potential buyers on a higher level than other places.

Just my .02 on why to buy from a dealer.

Am I wrong?

• Rising jay, you are completely correct. That IS the reason to buy from a dealer. There is no reason you should have had to wait as long as you did to get a replacement base.

Frank
  • I can tell you are a dealer. (a GREAT thing)

I'm done with this thread.

• My Large Egg base cracked recently after 17 years of use. I bought it second hand from a neighbor and I had no sales receipt so I was skeptical about being able to have it replaced under warranty. However, my local BGE dealer at Twins Ace Hardware in Clarendon VA, kindly offered to file a claim to their BGE rep. I had heard that the ceramic parts are subject to a lifetime warranty but thought that a dealers sales receipt would be essential. However, the claim was approved saving me $426.00 in replacement costs! I got the replacement in a couple of days and used the occasion to completely renovate my unit: new design hinge/band, sanded the wooden shelves, protected the base with Rustoleum. Looks brand new. So major kudos to BGE for their very generous warranty policy - they've made me an even more loyal custom through their smart approach. So do not despair if you find a crack, BGE will stand beside their excellent product.  Note: You will need to take clear photos of the crack to accompany the claim. The new base came equipped with a fitted gasket and a stainless draft door! One happy Egghead.