Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where is everyone?

I love bacon
I love bacon Posts: 8
edited September 2011 in Forum List
I'm wondering if I'm on the wrong forum.  For one, my old username and password do not work and there are only a handful of people on the forum compared to the large crowd that used to be on.  Am I missing something?

Comments

• Yes you are.  Google "Original Big Green Egg Forum" and I think your confusion will clear.  (Or you could just go to www.greeneggers.com :) )
    The Naked Whiz
  • Thank you so much NW!!!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    You aren't missing anything. Just some folks broke off and started a new forum is all.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    just for the record... the 'old' forum didn't break off.  it just kept itself going under a new domain name, since this domain was transferred to the corporate forum.

some traffic/members migrated toward here and away from the previous forum iteration, which is a minor but important distinction. they did not leave 'here' and go 'there'.

as for 'not missing anything'... well. it's a forum of long time BGE users, very knowledgeable, with some overlap to this forum as well as differing content.

both are BGE related forums.  shunning one or the other may not be 'missing much', but you would be missing something. and if you do it just to make a statement, well, that's your prerogative.  albeit a sad little odd little quirk of personality.

the snide undertones on both forums are getting really stale, though i think the 'other' forum has a good bit less of it lately.  they got over it quick.  can't find a recent post there mumbling about 'this place'.  but here, it's a common theme to jab at those poor stupid fools who have vastly more experience cooking on a BGE than most. might learn something from both forums, if one could get past the juvenile posturing.

time for folks to grow up and just cook something, and quit wrapping their internet lives around gaining (or losing) forum cred. and bickering about one forum versus another is just idiocy

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 4Runner
    That's what I posted.  Just in one sentence.   :P
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited September 2011

Hear ... hear!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2011

Stike - If some folks felt the need to rehost the old software under a completely new & different domain, then, by definition, they did indeed "break off" on their own.  

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but you (and a few others) are trying to make it sound like BGE "took" the domain & the forum away from them & smashed their faces in the mud... and then kicked their doggy in the process - BGE owned the forum, the domain, as well as the content. 

And if there's any question about that, look at who the forum moderator is here - it's Brenda Miller.  Now I don't know what the "behind the scenes" story is regarding her decision to stay w/ this forum, but the fact that she chose to stay here should tell folks something.

Who's name was the www.eggheadforum.com listed under?  Who paid to host it?  If the answer to either or both was even partially "BGE" then it's BGE's forum, plain & simple.  Just because some folks decided to volunteer their time, rather than be compensated for it or try to become employed by BGE, is irrelevant.  In the long run, they get an "atta boy" and not much else (that's the cold, hard, reality of doing business). That's like saying that GM chose to take Government (ie, taxpayer) money, but yet they complain about having to follow Government regulations and "advice" regarding how to run their business. 

I'm not saying it's "right" what BGE did, I'm not saying it's "wrong" - but I AM saying that anyone who thinks a company won't do what it feels is in its best interests to stay competitive & grow is just... well... naive.

Personally, I feel that the way BGE did the rollout was completely unprofessional and they should have tested this forum WAYYYY more than they did.  They also should have solicited feedback from the folks who use the forum.  But to make it seem like those who volunteered their time are "martyrs" is just ludicrous - on the one hand you can't say that they did it out of love, then on the other complain that they weren't compensated for it.  It's either out of love, or out of motive of profit, neither which is bad. 

Furthermore, from what I've seen, I'm willing to bet that even if BGE had done all those things correctly (better rollout, more testing, solicited feedback) - my $$ goes that the folks would've rehosted anyway, because they didn't like the fact that someone took control of the forum from them.  Again, that's not "bad" but that is a decision, and decisions have consequences.  To rehost under a completely different domain means that some folks won't be able to find them, and any newbies won't even know they exist (as the www.eggheadforum.com domain is the one that is linked to from BGE's site).  I don't agree that some folks feel it's OK to freely advertise the other site on this site - that's the consequence for going it on their own.  I don't think it would be looked too highly upon to have folks on the other site freely putting the BGE site into threads, do yoU?  So why is it OK to do it here????
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    HH...
    my point is that the common theme here seems to be that a bunch of addled ignorant old-time luddite simpletons got mad at the powers that be and actively 'broke off', running away and setting up their own forum to spite BGE.  incorrect. 

neither is it true that BGE pushed them overboard and they scrambled to inflate their own life raft.

neither is a correct characterization. 

the old forum switched to a new domain when the new forum went live.  the old forum went with a new domain (it had formerly been 'greeneggers.net' anyway, but some here may not know that) so that folks could continue to post in a format comfortable for them.

it can be debated who 'owns' the archived content.  I don't care. for now, there's overlapping archived content, and divergent new content.  two forums talking about the same grill hurt no one.claims that people ought to be sued... well.  that's funny, frankly. [note that i understand you did not say this.  it's just been said a couple times]

in time, the two will probably seem very different from each other, with different active memberships.  not sure that's bad, so i don't understand the constant snickering assertion made here that someone is better or worse depending on whatever forum they choose.

for what it is worth (nothing), i think if folks here would visit the old one for a moment, they'd be shocjed to see that there is little or no conversation there about this place and how lame it might be.  that cannot be said of the nw forum.  in fact, i think it is plain to see that if there is a group of folks unable to 'get over it', it might be a few (certainly not all) of the more die-hard 'elders' here.  i love the irony, by the way, of the despising of elders while desperately trying to become one.  again, maybe not you, but some here seem awful invested and given to promotion of one vs. the other.

my only caution here would be that for years there have been claims (on the old forum) of cliques and 'perceived ownership' by groups of members. and that they were belligerent.  when this new forum came about, there was some hearty cheering that all that would end.

in a few short weeks, it seems there are similar accusations that could be made about this place.

i honestly think the reality is somewhere in the middle.  there's no concerted effort or clique or group in either. but neither is there a perfect egalitarian environment where everyone is treated equally (or, more telling, believes himself equal).
    as for cliques...  cliques are usually constructs of those feeling 'left out', when they usually are the ones creating the distance. 
    cliques are imagined by those feeling left out, rather than organized
    from within

but i'm rambling.  hey, it's what i do.

in short, the BGE desire to develop their own forum, fully funded and run by BGE, was not evil or petty.  and neither was the 'old' forum's desire to continue running, a reflection of their stupidity or backwards nature.

whatever feeling a person has toward either of those events reflects on their own personality much more than it does on any imagine motives of corporate evildoers, or disgruntled luddites, or internet hipster pioneers, or people who just like to cook on a frigging ceramic grill that just happens to be one brand versus another.

• That isn't true at all.  The other site bashes corp and this site specifically everyday.  There members come here everyday to post a link to that site.  They email new members here trying to get them to go there (I got an email). 

Heck, there is a large thread today bashing this site and BGE.  It is a daily occurence over there with mostly the same 8-10 posters (old guard) doing the bashing.  To act like the other site has "gotten over it" is being disingenious and not honest at all.  Post for post, the bashing is far more over there than here.  The snide, nasty remarks are there in many threads, everyday.  Lets not pretend it doesn't.  I understand everyone (if they are being honest-) have a loyalty to one side or the other, but lets not pretend one side is pure like the driven snow, while the other is childish and acting like babies.

From what I understand, corp is about to fix the problem once and for all.  They should of done it from the start.

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    What does it hurt to be able to go on both sites?  If you like one over the other than go on that one.  
  • stike
    salty: "should HAVE done it from the start."

lots of folks make the same mistake, assuming that what we pronounce as "should've" is spelled "should of".

but i digress. what i find funny about you salty... it doesn't add up.  you have claimed many times to have never been on the old forum and that you don't know any of the history or anyone there.  and then five posts later you imply that you know all about everyone there, their personalities, etc. 

now too, you try to imply you have some secret knowledge about bge's corporate thinking.  odd of them to confide in you. i imagine they might not any longer if they see you spilling the super-secret inside info you were made privy to.

honestly, it looks more like speculation (oddly hopeful speculation), trumped up as actual knowledge. 

i don't think it would be a crazy idea to think you might be an old old-forum member who no longer posts and holds a grudge.  weird.  there was a guy there who fit that description. i wonder....
    hahahaha

anyhoo...

if a person truly is irritated that someone thinks HIS forum is less than the other, i pity them. 

well.  actually. full stop. strike that...  i maybe ENVY them.  because that kind of a problem means they must have very few others. 

• Yawn.  I wont argue with this guy. He certainly isn't worth it, but I'm pleased and thrilled he thinks I am worth it.  Why do you think I decided to post in this thread when I haven't posted in a while.  Because I knew he would take the bait.  Very predictable.  Simple minded people usually are.

Oh no!  Did I make another grammar mistake(s)?  I better hide now or maybe the internet grammer police will come get me.

I deliberately made a couple of grammar mistakes above because it is obvious that guy gets his rocks off correcting others--why disapoint? Correct away oh English teacher.). 

The point is everyone has an agenda.  Let's not act like we are playing the center on this issue when it is obvious that everyone has taken a side on this. 

Respond again.  I enjoy the fact I bother you.  It is fun.  Heck, the minions are begging for you to post, but I'm the one you give the attention to.  I think it is great.

• stike
    salty, my original post was to HH.  i replied to you because you replied to me.

say hi to Bacchus for me.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    is there a poll feature here yet
    :D

highest percent of bashing per post

a. egghead forum
    b. greeneggers forum
    c. salty hogs bbq

this is an easy one
    :D:D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 4Runner
    Oh yea, we need a poll.  Those are always useful.  At least the official forum is on top of your list.  Of course after counting your post, maybe "b" is on top now.  But then again, after counting my post maybe you are correct....Dang it!  I can't keep track.     :-j
  • 4Runner
    Tweev - this passive aggressive technique is just getting on my nerves.  When will you give it up and start posting rants and cussing everyone out?  At least we can get back to normal.   8-}
  • 4Runner
    go with it.  It can be fun as long as it doesn't get personal.  I do prefer cooking though.  

• is there a poll feature here yet

a. egghead forum
    b. greeneggers forum
    c. salty hogs bbq

this is an easy one
    That is funny.  Singling one person out what other have done, but funny.  Question:  As a fair person you are, have you questioned certain people from your site why they bash this site constantly?  I'm mean you want to be fair and not make it personal, right?

Plus I'm curious.  Why do you only post here when there is controversy?  The people over here would love to see your famous cooks.  Hell, how about that thread you started today.  I'm sure the people here would love to see that adorable mutt with that steak in his/her mouth.  Don't you think instead of coming here to stir the pot (which members here don't do on your site, but 4 or 5 of you come here to stir the pot then blame this site for being the negative one), that every once in a while you can grace us with your fabulous meals.

I'm sure a great, human being as yourself can forgive how the big bad green monster hurt ya feelings and you will let bygones be bygones.  So come on.  Don't hate, contribute.  Heck, if you guys would stop coming over here and bashing this site (coming over here to do it and stirring the pot), I wouldn't need to pop up and put my 2 cents worth.  I just can't stand lies to go without being challenged and that is precisely what is happening over there (heck, they are rarely challenged here).  I will continue to post until the bashing of this site stops.  Until then, I will grace everyone with my presence and tell the other side of the story.

Oh.  There are now 2 threads currently bashing this site over there.  But then again, we are told they have "let it go."  OK.

I know the old guard hates being exposed and challenged, but oh well, get used to it when you come here and bash this site.  You don't run this site like you do that one.
  • hmmmmm - just visited that other place

on two pages of posts which is + or - 600 lines and have no idea how many original post there was one poster that said he was glad to find the forum with 4 replies.  three of the replies were welcome and one reply by someone with a total of 60 post said he didn't like it over here.

not exactly like salty said "there is a large thread today bashing this site and BGE.  It is a daily
    occurence over there with mostly the same 8-10 posters (old guard) doing
    the bashing" .  someone with 60 post isn't exactly old guard.

i peruse both sites and have to agree with the carrot dude

why don't we all just cook something, sing kumbaya, and be happy
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • salty - I can't find them - pls point them out for an old man - i looked through two pages twice

there is one thread that is titled "glad to be back"  - didn't slam this forum just said he didn't care for it
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    If I may suggest, can we let this thread end? I can't see where this is helping anyone! @-)
  • I think I will quit both forums.  This one is wrought with pot shots at the other forum, and the other forum is a chat room.

I came to the forums wanting to learn new techniques and progressive recipes, and I used to get them frequently.  They are few and far between now.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I think I will quit both forums.  This one is wrought with pot shots at the other forum, and the other forum is a chat room.

I came to the forums wanting to learn new techniques and progressive recipes, and I used to get them frequently.  They are few and far between now.
    You know you can't quit!! This stuff is in your blood and you know it! Besides, I have seen a number of your posts and your handle is about as far from the truth as you can get! You're a real egger, my friend. Don't you even think about going away!!  :-O
  • 4Runner
    Another idea is to ignore the threads that bore you. Works for me. One thing it appears the other forum is doing that we should do is, they are either locking or removing threads that are not positive.
  • Just saw the perfect tweet:
    How to win an argument on the internet:
    1. Turn off the computer.
    2. Have sex with your wife.
  • fishlessman
    is there a poll feature here yet

a. egghead forum
    b. greeneggers forum
    c. salty hogs bbq

this is an easy one
    That is funny.  Singling one person out what other have done, but funny.  Question:  As a fair person you are, have you questioned certain people from your site why they bash this site constantly?  I'm mean you want to be fair and not make it personal, right?

Plus I'm curious.  Why do you only post here when there is controversy?  The people over here would love to see your famous cooks.  Hell, how about that thread you started today.  I'm sure the people here would love to see that adorable mutt with that steak in his/her mouth.  Don't you think instead of coming here to stir the pot (which members here don't do on your site, but 4 or 5 of you come here to stir the pot then blame this site for being the negative one), that every once in a while you can grace us with your fabulous meals.

I'm sure a great, human being as yourself can forgive how the big bad green monster hurt ya feelings and you will let bygones be bygones.  So come on.  Don't hate, contribute.  Heck, if you guys would stop coming over here and bashing this site (coming over here to do it and stirring the pot), I wouldn't need to pop up and put my 2 cents worth.  I just can't stand lies to go without being challenged and that is precisely what is happening over there (heck, they are rarely challenged here).  I will continue to post until the bashing of this site stops.  Until then, I will grace everyone with my presence and tell the other side of the story.

Oh.  There are now 2 threads currently bashing this site over there.  But then again, we are told they have "let it go."  OK.

I know the old guard hates being exposed and challenged, but oh well, get used to it when you come here and bash this site.  You don't run this site like you do that one.
    i havent figured the picture thing out here working with photobucket yet. was real happy that i got a link to embed a video on peeling large quantities of garlic here though. now heres the problem, you have worked up legitimate posters here so much about forum elders intent on bashing anyone here that some are hesitant to even respond to a real post from someone from the old forum. i would even be hesitant to post a pic here of a puppy eating a steak bone if i could even post it. there is just about no bashing going on other than your "anti bashing" bashing posts.  i do assume you checked c in the poll question because there was no bashing yesterday of the other forum of this one that im aware of and i looked hard
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    so what do i have to do , copy post which link, and edit it how
    fukahwee maine

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited September 2011
    Fishlessman, if your photo is on your hard drive, you can use the "Attach a file" link to upload the photo and have it appear at the bottom of your post.  That's what I did in the previous post.  If your photo is somewhere on a web server, then you can include the address of an image in the text of your post like this:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/photos/steakbone.jpg

and people can click on the link.  I'm not sure at this point how to embed images inline.
    The Naked Whiz
  • DID YOU SAY A PUPPY EATING A STEAK BONE!!!????

The Naked Whiz