Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flashback

Options
TrueTex
TrueTex Posts: 48
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Well friends, I had an interesting flashback occurrence yesterday when I was searing some NY strips at about 650 degrees. I have a large egg and had almost filled the egg with fresh lump (Royal Oak). I had the vent wide open and left the daisy wheel off of the top to ensure maximum air flow. Being a semi-experienced egger I know enough to burp the egg when cooking at high temperatures to avoid flashback. I burped the egg and held it open about 1 inch for about 5 seconds and then opened the lid wider. Bam...a huge ball of flame shot out and I was lucky I was wearing my welder's gloves so I only singed the hair on the top of my right arm (LOL). I have read the flashback piece on the Naked Whiz website and was wondering if anyone else has suggestions for avoiding this type of event....thanks.

Comments