Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stay in meat thermometers

Dawg54Dawg54 Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Anybody use a "stay-in" meat thermometer when using their egg?  How do u pass it through the cover?  Just allow it to press into gasket mtl?  Cut a small gap to allow for passing the wire through gasket? 
·

Comments

• BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Dawg54
    The probe wire is fine just laying on gasket. If cooking with plate setter, run the wire above one of the legs to keep direct heat off it. If cooking direct, you may want to make a loose fitting foil wrap to protect it from the flames. 
    I don't have a gasket on my Egg, so the lid and base actually contact the probe wire. Never had a problem. I don't think I'd worry with cutting a slot for it (in time the gasket will either shrink or burn up.)
    Kent Madison MS
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,785
    edited September 2011
    Just close the lid on it, no problems.  The gasket will "bounce back" after you're done.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • I rely on mine for just about everything that doesn't require high heat(steaks and burgers mostly).  I bought one that Weber makes and just run the cable over the plate setter leg and on top of the gasket.  It has a remote unit that lets me keep tabs on things from inside the house, so I don't have to be going in and out to check.  Recommend highly.
    ·
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,038
    No worries on the gasket.  Perfectly fine to close the lid on your cable. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
    ·
  • i just recently purchased an Oregon scientific aw131. if your not that interested in the unit measuring gill temp and more focused on meat temps, it could be a cheaper alternative to the mavrick. I got mine for 27 bucks. 

Its a bit gimmiky (it actually talks at you), but appears to be well built and functional.  Definitely worth a look.

GreyGoose
    ·
  • aturcoaturco Posts: 31
    grey goose i have one too just got it and trying to use it today and i cannot get the transmitter to communicate w/ the main unit...any suggestions, brand new batteries and the two units are right near each other. I am in the process of cooking a 5lb butt. 

thanks
    a
    ·
  • aturcoaturco Posts: 31
    i figured it out you have to "reset" the main unit before using. works great pretty cool. 
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    ... and make sure you turn on each unit in the order the instructions state ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • GreygooseGreygoose Posts: 103
    glad you go it worked out. i had the same issue. i didnt realize there was a reset button on BOTH units that need to be reset after a battery change. you also need to make sure the transmitter is running before you turn on the main unit. just figured that one out this weekend. i wish there was a volume control on this thing though. Its starting to remind me of my wife.........Just kidding.......not really.....well ok, just kidding.....no not really.☺
    ·