Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello!

Options
Nicholas_Wetton
Nicholas_Wetton Posts: 98
edited September 2011 in Root
I have been reading and reviewing your experiences for some time and finally decided to take the plunge and invest in a BGE.   I moved to NYC from England in 2004.  A neighbor introduced me to the art of BBQ smoking.  My wife and I decided to test the water inexpensively and after a few years of successful entertaining with a basic smoker we decided to celebrate a significant milestone and invest in an XL BGE.  We have a celebration planned with about 40 guests comprised of family and close friends but I am terrified of using the BGE for the first time for such an important occasion.  Ideally I want to do a pork butt (I believe also called a shoulder or picnic?) and a standing rib roast. 

Looking forward to being part of the Egg Head community and learning from you all.

Nic

Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Congrats and welcome
    Best advice I can give is follow Elder and Whiz
    Kent Madison MS
  • I love bacon
    Options
    Congrats!  One of my first cooks on the egg was Thanksgiving turkey for family and friends.  It's a lot of pressure.  One piece of advice I would give is to start it earlier then you think. Pork butt can be a little unpredictable when it comes to the timing.  There is nothing worse then having 40 people waiting around for their food.  It happens to me all the time (not 40 people, usually just my wife and kids).  Once the pork butt is done you can keep it wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for quite a while so earlier is better.  Plus the shredding part can also take some time and I'm sure you will have enough going on without having to be stressed with pulling the pork with a house full of people.
    That's just my advice.
    Good luck

War Green Egg
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey Nic,

Welcome to the forum and to the BGE! A party for 40, WOW! Pulled pork is a good choice, since you've been smoking for a few years I'm sure it won't be a problem. Congrats on the new egg. Take some pictures to share and let us know how everything goes,
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon