Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question on BGE Thermometer

Options
BigK75
BigK75 Posts: 12
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hey Folks:

So I was testing my BGE thermometer in boiling water today and it showed 190F.  I flicked the top of it with my finder and it went to 210 immediately. I have found lately that I have to flick to get it working, but its usually only off 10-20F.  Normally I would replace with a Tel-Tru but the only place I know for sure has it is sold out and these things are difficult to get in Canada.  I still need to check the local dealer but I was wondering.  Should I:
A) Live with the fact I have to flick it once in a while
B) Purchase a new one from the dealer if they have it
C) Keep looking on Ebay until one shows up.  (I cannot believe I cannot find this on ebay) 
D) Other

Claude

Comments

• MikeyW
    Options
    I have a tru tel and I did a boiling water test and mine read 200. So mine is 12 degrees off and I have only had my egg 2 weeks
  • MikeyW
    Options
    How do you calibrate it? Thanks
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    @BigK75 - According to Amazon, as of right now (9/23/11), they are in stock: 

http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-LT225R-Replacement-Thermometer-degrees/dp/B00557775O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1316792422&sr=8-4

Are you saying that Amazon doesn't ship to Canuckistan?  Holy crap I'd think they would, as that's a large market they're missing out on if not  :((
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hillbilly, does amazon sell TelTru?  I've only bought them from the manufacturer direct.

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    edited September 2011
    Options
    dup....

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Mikey, I would calibrate the thermometer by holding the thermometer tip in the boiling water in the pan.  Pouring it into a coffee mug will probably drop the temperature of the water 20-30 degrees by the time you put the thermometer in it.  Some people use a paper plate as a shield to keep their fingers out of the steam.   Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Whiz - if you go to that link, it shows that it's on Amazon's site.  Now, Amazon says it ships from & is sold by the BBQ Equipment Store, but any time I've ever bought anything off Amazon, I don't really pay attention to that, as I'm dealing w/ Amazon, not the manufacturer, or the vendor, directly.  I let Amazon be the "middle man" and I just place the order w/ them. 

So, not sure what you mean "does Amazon sell Tel Tru?"  I logged in & went all the way up to the point of clicking the button to "finish" my order, so I'm assuming had I clicked that button, I would've been able to buy it from Amazon???
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I agree with NW, keep the probe in the boiling water when you take the temp.  I use the same box end wrench I will use to adjust to hold it in the water.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• The Naked Whiz
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hillbilly, I guess I really meant does Amazon or anyone on Amazon sell TelTru thermometers.  Like I say, I've always gone to TelTru to order direct.  But, I see from the link that obviously someone does.  Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Well, I said 20-30 degrees and yes I am serious.  You don't hold the thermometer tip touching the bottom of the pan, you hold it suspended in the water.  This is how I have calibrated my thermometers for 10+ years, and I've never encountered any safety issues.  You simply hold the thermometer by the edges of the dial at an angle so the tip is in the water and the dial is over the edge of the pan.  As I recall I was once recording the temperature of the boiling water in the pan with a thermocouple and simply turning off the gas burner caused the water temperature to drop 5 or 6 degrees within a few seconds.  Pouring the water in to a coffee mug means a) you have a smaller mass of water that is going to cool down faster, and b) the mug itself which is well below 212 degrees is going to absorb heat from the formerly boiling water.

Also, I don't suggest you make the adjustment while the thermometer tip is in the water.  You observe the amount of error (say it reads 200 degrees instead of 212).  You take the thermometer out of the water, wait for it to settle back down to room temperature (you can do this quickly by running some tap water over it for a few seconds) and then make a 12-degree adjustment.  Then you stick it back in the boiling water to check that your adjustment was adequate.
    The Naked Whiz
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

I calibrate in the boiling water as well.  I make sure the thermometer's tip is not touch the pot by holding it approximately 1/2 in the water.  I also use by pliars to hold it....keeping my hands away from the heat.  Pretty simple.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Also, if one really thought that one needed to pour the boiling water into another container, one would be better off using a styrfoam cup.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ribmaster
    Options

tweev ..the whiz will not suck it. I did the test. 20 degrees almost instantly 30 degrees at about 60 seconds. this is using a therma pen. your test may vary due to mug mass, altitude and ambiant room temp. (yes I am bored).

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • The Naked Whiz
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ribmaster, I have devised an experiment so clever, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasil, with due apologies to Rowan Atkinson and Black Adder.  I'll post my results when I get a chance to do it tonight.  I might even go so far as to make separate runs for the coffee mug and the styrofoam cup. 

Tweev, you might enjoy this.  At work we have an ATM across the hallway from the cafeteria.  Next to the ATM is a sign encouraging us to do the environmentally responsible thing and (wait for it...) recycle our ATM receipts.  Meanwhile just a few feet away lies the source of an enormous mountain of styrofoam used by everyone getting their lunch to go.  No signs there.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I will endeavor to add the "preheat the mug" scenario to my clever experiment.  And this line to which you refer?  Doesn't exist. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • ribmaster
    Options
    I was using a cold mug. but to be fair it was not the largest mug I had,
  • MikeyW
    MikeyW Posts: 9
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It worked, I just kept it in the boiling water and turned the nut with a wrench. Couldn't have been easier.if you want to calibrate It exactly I don't see why you wouldn't do it in boiling water.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Super! Now I don't have to post my chart that shows it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it might be, :))

Ok, I guess I should.  I used a thermocouple probe that had roughly the same sort of mass as a thermometer.  I used a room temperature mug, then after letting the hot water heat up the mug, I repeated the measurement.  I also used a 12 oz styrofoam cup:
    The Naked Whiz
  • ribmaster
    Options
    I think this is a far off topic as we can go.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    BigK75, I am told by a reliable source that Ontario Gas BBQ has the egg size Tel-Trues in stock.  Hope this helps!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Dawg54
    Options
    I am looking into purchasing a "stay-in" meat thermometer to use with my egg.  These have a wire connection between the thermocouple and outside readout....Is it ok to just allow it to rest between the gasket material?  Cut a small gap in the gasket material to allow for passing the wire through? Does anybody use this type of thermometer?  How do u set it up?
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    Just stick the probe in the meat connect to the exterior unit and close the lid. It dosn't cause a leak.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Even if your gasket is old and hard and crusty, the size of the leak is microscopic for all intents and purposes.
    The Naked Whiz