Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Maintaining temperature question

GreygooseGreygoose Posts: 103
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
i'm on my third session with my new egg and the biggest problem i seem to have is getting it to stay at a particular tempurature. i'm always to hot or to cold. did a pork butt last night with the idea in mind to do a 18 hour smoke at 230. Got things under control pretty quickly and thought i had it set up right. checked it about 2 hours later to find it at 270. made a very minor adjustment to the bottom door ((had it about an inch open) and moved it to about 3/4 inch. came back 2 hours later to a 210 degree temp. 

unless anyone has any better suggestions , my plan is to keep the bottom vent open about 1 inch and just work on the top vent to try an dial in a specific tempurature. Seems like very small changes down below can lead to big temp changes. i'm hoping the top vent is the key to my "dial ins".

advise would be appreciated (and you may not want to stop by my place to try this BBQ tonight after this temperature rolla-coaster this piece of pig has been on. 

Greygoose

Comments