Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone smoked duck??

Options
toquina
toquina Posts: 94
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine has some duck and ostrich meat and they would like some smoked. Does anyone have any ideas

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    It's sitting in the freezer, I may be trying it this weekend.  Hope others have some good ideas!  

I've never had ostrich.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I've only done duck on my gasser with rotisserie and am very interested as to the best method on an EGG.

Anybody?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • allegry
    Options
    I've had a lot of experience with duck as a caterer, but we typically roasted it whole.  While I can't answer OP's question, I'm really interested as well.....I absolutely *LOVE* duck.  Might be my favorite game, and that's saying a lot.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    When you say "meat," what do you mean? Specific pieces? Mixed parts? Ground.

The only general info I can give is that if there is skin on, especially breasts, make sure they are pricked all over to let the fat render. Have a good drip pan, because there will be a lot.

Fruit woods are better than nutwoods or harder woods for smoke. Go light on it. Duck really picks up the smoke.

I've only done ground ostrich a few times. My recollection is that it was rather like ground dark meat turkey, maybe a little leaner. If you have whole pieces, I think brining might be good for a starter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    1. i like whole domestic duck done low and slow, if its breast meat i would look at a faster cook. ostrich should be cooked hot and fast. i like the duck done low and slow but some prefer it cooked hotter and faster, itsa cook you need to try both ways to find out what you like. stab the skin all over as said, i cook them direct and at low temps, below 220, it smokes like crazy but for somereason that fatty smoke flavor doesnt stick at those temps
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/237371/x/p1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Did a five pounder Sunday. Brined it is saltwater and orange juice for three hours rinsed well then dried it. Scored skin to fat cap all over stuffed cavity with two squeezed limes and one squeezed orange. Pours lime juice and orange juice squeezed from fruit into the cavity and tied the legs together to hold it all in. Salt, pepper, then egged at 300 degrees with full load of lump, apple and cherry chips for three hours indirect with plate setter legs up with daffy riding in the v rack sitting on the grate. At the one and two hour mark brushed coconut milk on the upside for added moisture. Turned out yummy with brown crispy skin. Leftover coconut milk used to make rice with saffron. I'll definitely do this one again!
  • Bayarad
    Options
    Oh and don't forget the drip pan!!!
  • Bayarad
    Options
    And internal temp of 165 more important than the time!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    The only general info I can give is that if there is skin on, especially breasts, make sure they are pricked all over to let the fat render. Have a good drip pan, because there will be a lot.  
    And make sure to save that fat for frying potatoes, Nom!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    I have done peking duck a few times.  Takes some time to prep the duck but the results are good.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1039970/duck-last-night
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

And make sure to save that fat for frying potatoes, Nom!  
    If you like duck fat, what you really want to do is goose. I got 2 qts. from my Christmas goose. Half was rendered from excess fat, the rest saved from the roasting, and so slightly smokey. Grilled cheese sandwiches in goose fat is scary good.