Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally! After 5+ years I got good skin on chicken!

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I did wings yesterday and cooked per recommendations posted last week- raised indirect, 350, 1 hour.imageimage

I took these pics a little too early, but suffice it to say, the skin was good! - crispy (with some see-thru portions) and not chewy.

I trimmed the wings and left uncovere in the fridge for an hour or so until I was ready to cook.  half were dusted with Wee Willies Formula #1 and the other half was with Camp Mix "Spud Fixin".  in the last 15 minutes I basted some with SBR - they all came out great!

Comments

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    As a rule, I wash and clean them pat them dry and put them back in the fridge (uncovered)  for two hours and the skin always is crispy. 

Great looking cook!
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    I have to try this with thighs!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    As a rule, I wash and clean them pat them dry and put them back in the fridge (uncovered)  for two hours and the skin always is crispy. 

Great looking cook!
    why do you wash it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Have you ever seen inside these processing plants? There is a lot I could say here but I'll shut up now. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the usda recommends against washing it  ;) cross contamination from washing is a bigger problem then just opening the package and throwing it on the grill. goes against everything we grew up with in regards to chicken. alls the washing does is wet the skin while contaminating everything nearby
    fukahwee maine

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    I agree with your point of potentially contaminating other things however I'm neurotic and would disinfect everything your way or mine. I try and buy everything from small producer and local. I try not to buy from the big processors.

I'm not saying your wrong but if you've seen what I've seen you would wash your chicken too. I'm a farm kid, big money should stay out of food producing. Quality gets in the way of profit. 

OK. I'll take my chit kicking now. Just please be respectful. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ive worked in rendering plants, and the jello plant, nothing more nasty than jello
    :)>-  it took me by surprise that the usda recommends not washing it but it does help the skin crisp not to wash it
    fukahwee maine

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    Ok, you know what I'm talking about. 

I'll always wash them. When they get to the egg they are  bone dry and I get a nice crispy skin. 
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I disinfect/sanitize the sink and counter after washing them ... enough said!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.