Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can u smoke below 250 F without a lot cresote/acrid flavor

Options
COSGringo
COSGringo Posts: 5
edited September 2011 in Root
Hello, brand new egg owner here. I picked up some cherry wood for my egg today at a place that once was an authorized dealer (Ace hardware put them out of that business as they are a small business). The owner really seemed to know his stuff. He mentioned that I should never smoke below 250 F on the egg as the coals will smolder too much, cause excess creosote, and ruin the taste? Does this seem to make sense? I was under the impression I could smoke on the egg around 200-225. He was not putting down the egg and said it's an awesome cooker but that was his opinion. He sells a lot of pellet smokers and such and I noticed his was cooking at 190.
Thanks!

Comments

• chrisnjenn
    Options
    Not true.  I have smoked on my large Egg at 210-220 degrees a lot (2 of those cooks going over 22 hours).  It performed like a champ.  No cresote or acrid flavor at all.  Came out yummy.

I know several people who cold smoke on their Eggs below 200 degrees.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    By the way. Do not trust any advice Little Steven gives you on the other site. If you ever met him you would understand. Real mental case and stalker. Very weird.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Yes, need to remember the temp at the grate/dome is not what the temp is at the lump.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    Little whiny Steven you took the first shot. You think you can take pot shots and not get shots taken back at you?

I hate to bring his up, but people were talking about your breath and teeth at the last fest. Please go to a dentist. I know that commie medical system you have up there sucks, but damn dude you need to do something about your breath and teeth. Shameful.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Salty Hogs BBQ Posts: 171
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No need to be rude.

Funny you are defending the guy that took a shot directed at you at the other site. I wasn't being rude. Just giving some advice. He needs to know what people were saying behind his back.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    I just love to show the hypocrisy of the other site when they say they are peaceful and don't take shots about this site. They take shots and start threads everyday bashing this site. If one of us responds we are the bad guys. They always start it and expect this site to take it. Nope.

I hope Corp sues the other site and ends this mess once and for all.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    meh.  Boring.

Yeah. Like being critical when they talk about gout even though they put OT on the thread title, huh? Boring.
  • The_Buffalo
    Options
    Hey guys I've been getting a few complaints about how some of you are talking to each other. Please remember @COSGringo was asking for advise not for members to bash each other. We are all here because we love cooking on the EGG. Let's keep that in mind....Thanks.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Little whiny Steven you took the first shot. You think you can take pot shots and not get shots taken back at you?

I hate to bring his up, but people were talking about your breath and teeth at the last fest. Please go to a dentist. I know that commie medical system you have up there sucks, but damn dude you need to do something about your breath and teeth. Shameful.

Not Cool and stop this!
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.