Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sometimes there is some justice

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,740
edited November -1 in Off Topic
last summer this happened, this summer the court says i wont get all my money back, but i will get a check for 500 and the two kids have to put in 100 hours working for me. other than washing the trucks and some raking, any ideas what they should do. detailing the bathroom in a boiler shop seems a little cruel :whistle: too young to let them do anything in the building, whats some miserable work for an 11 and 13 year old

DSC_0001-1.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Glad that you are getting what justice you are. I remember when you posted that this had happend and wondered if they would even catch thoes that did it. A lot better ending that it might have been.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i was really surprised that they got what they got, they also owe some money and time to my neighbor and some community service to the town and the courts collecting the money from the parents
    fukahwee maine

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Glad to hear there is some justice...any work for an 11 & 13 yr old is going to be good for them...actions have consequences...looks like some clean up could be in order... ;):)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Raking your lawn/property and weeding it all by hand!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I know you would have some OSHA issues at the shop but surely there has to be some disgusting maintenance issues involving heat and dirt. Any ventilation equipment with filthy filters? I don't mean make work, but legit dirty jobs.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im thinking thats whats going to happen, i dont think i want the liability from giving them tools and getting hurt
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i think im definitely going to keep them outside. ive got an area that hasnt been cut back in a few years and maybe they can wash the high bay windows, shovel out a sandblasting pit. im on a 7 year rotation with osha and due for a visit :ermm: my luck they come with the kids in there
    fukahwee maine

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Fish,

After the lawn work is done. have them detail as many cars as you have. Maybe a buddies too. I mean really get all the stuff off and then wax it..The work sucks, it's great to do for your vehicle and it is also something the kids may see as viable work in the future. It was my first job, and making a couple hundred bucks in a day at 14 isn't bad.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Too bad you don't have a 3' X 3' X 3' grease trap like our mess hall did in the Army. Cleaning it out was done by hand. It was worse than any punishment for screwing up but was sometimes just a part of your KP assignment. It was so bad that they actually allowed us to use our gas mask.

Of course it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment in today's world.

If their parents are responsible people I'm pretty sure anything you lay on 'em will be light.

Spring "Boys Will Be Boys Before They Will Be Men" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Hey fish, every year in the spring I have go over my deck to look for nail heads that have pushed up due to the freezing an thawing cycles and drive 'em back in. Must be 500 nails in my deck and I hate the job and it's hard on my gouty knees, but it has to be done so no one gets a cut foot while walking around barefoot in the summer. Might be something for you to think about. Maybe the dock too. :evil: :laugh:

Mark
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    .. have them wax your boat, after every inch is cleaned first. :laugh:

That'll keep them busy. ;)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    How about taking them to a home for the elderly, disabled or veterans to do some cleaning. All of those places have had to make cuts. Then afterwards make them sit and have conversations with those less fortunate. It'd be good for them and you might even be able to write it off as a donation.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Fishless I vote for two GIANT signs....

My name is XXXXXXX

THIS is what happens when you VANDALIZE!

Don't let THIS happen to YOU!!

DO NOT VANDALIZE or you will be HUMILIATED, TOO!

And make them hold the signs over their heads at two super busy intersections with traffic lights, so they can be HUMILIATED in front of the home town!! I say two hours of the rush hour in the morning, and two hours at rush hour in the evening....

At 4 hours a day a piece, they can be humiliated for MANY days!!! That should make the others think twice!!
    I remember that post...Put it to 'em! ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Fish, We know the boys need to do something to teach them a lesson and hopefully bring closure to the vandalism the boys did to you and the community. I think what ever you get them to do hopefully they will never forget the time they had to make restitution. I also hope the boys fine a mentor for the rest of their lives. :ermm:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    to tell you the truth, i think the town went a little overboard, was expecting maybe a saturday or two here and at the neighbors, not a 100 here, a hundred there, and i dont know how many hours for the town. i think it was better in the old days when this stuff was taking care of between neighbors, nowadays it goes to court and the neighbor doesnt even bother to come over
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm with Little Chef but I would also like to see some good come out their time.
    I would hold a benefit car wash for a local charity.
    Not only would they have to work for the public, it would help your town "and" it would be tax write off for the money donated.
    I'm very happy you are getting back part of your damages as well as the 100 hours of labor.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • docbipe
    Options
    A standard joke in maintenance, but, don't you have some wax rings the need to be changed?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I hope punishment like that, a year after the fact, does some good in kids that young...  :-$

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    Options
    I hope punishment like that, a year after the fact, does some good in kids that young...  :-$
    well  after all this time the DA changed and the new guy wont allow any work from the kids, the parents will come up with 250 each which i highly doubt. botch, what should have happened is that the parents dragged those kids over day one to atleast clean the truck and apologize, what really happens is that the kids are hidden until things just go away, took 8 months just to find out who did it, all the police reports were blacked out, couldnt talk to the kids, couldnt talk to the parents, dont worry it will all go away, lots of lessons there for the kids, and a couple grand and lost work out of pocket for me, i already knew that lesson.
    fukahwee maine