Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE rebuild complete

Options
markthewood
markthewood Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Y'all,[p]Just completed the first rebuild of my 2 year old egg. I was really dreading replacing the gaskets, and to be sure; removal of the old ones was a process. I replaced the shelves on both sides, put in a new firebox, replaced my broken ceramic top, and of course put on new factory replacement gaskets. THe whole project took just over 4 hours. Looks pretty darn good considering her age.[p]I was all pumped up to try out my new platesetter, but nooooooooo; we had to get a freakin' storm instead. Guess I'll have to wait to break 'er in after the rebuild. Think I'll smoke a couple of chickens,then I'm gonna do a prime rib.[p]AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

Comments

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Just went thru replacing the BGE gaskets on my new small with the Cotronic's 'tape'.[p]Unlike my large egg, the gaskets on the small were really glued on. I spent quite a bit of time scraping the bottom gasket off and was trying to get the adhesive off when a small light went on. Maybe I should try some Goof-off (lighter fluid?). Put it on fairly heavy, waited a little bit and paper toweled it off. Repeated several times. MUCH easier.[p]Then when I went to remove the gasket from the dome I tried soaking the gasket with Goof Off and then waiting 30 -40 seconds. It lifted right off. Just had to soak and paper towel the adhesive off.[p]After I had cleaned the adhesive off, I waited several minutes, took the MAPP torch and went over the rim to remove any Goof Off residue and burn off any remaining adhesive. [p]The rims were CLEAN at this point but I alwo took a few swipes with some 60 grit sandpaper just to be sure of a good surface.[p]Toy Man
  • LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    markthewood,[p]Ummmm....."replaced shelves / firebox / ceramic top..."....
    I use my two large BGE's for cooking food.[p]What on earth are you doing with yours?[p]Inquiring minds need to know! Firebox, ok. Shelves, top??[p]California, earthquakes, right?[p]LVM

• markthewood
    markthewood Posts: 36
    Options
    LasVegasMac,[p]The UPS guy accidentally broke my ceramic top, and I had an extra pair of new shelves in the garage, so I put them on as well. Spruced 'er up nicely.[p]By the way, I'm in Houston.