Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting the fire

Labrat73
Labrat73 Posts: 6
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

As a new egg owner, I was just curious if its best to start your fire in muliple places or just in the center?

Comments

• You'll find many different opinions on this, and each one can be correct.  Personally, I light in 3 places (2 toward the front, to the left & right of the lower vent, and the 3rd toward the back). 

After I feel I've got a good fire, I'll stir the coals to distribute the fire throughout.  Some folks stir, others don't. 

It's really a personal preference, and what you feel works for you. 

Also, you'll see that there are just as many "ways" to light the coals as there are spots to light them.  Some folks use starter cubes, some use paper towels saturated in rubbing alcohol, some use torches (I use a Bernzomatic Quickfire torch), some use chimneys, some use electric starters, etc. 

As long as you get a good fire going, it really doesn't matter - you should "Egg-speriment" with several different techniques & let us know which one you like the best!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I light mine in 3 places and never touch it again.  I might try stirring.  Never thought of doing that because I was always afraid of putting the fire out.  
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Hey Tweev thought that was you.  How's things going?  You behaving? (I Hope...lol)
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    My Eggs likes to burn to the back so if I want an even fire, I will light 3 or four across the front and one in the back.  That seems to provide a nice even heat across the entire grate surface.   Not perfect, but I can work with it.   For indirect, I just light in the middle and go.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Thanks for the info
  • I use a MAPP torch and light in 3 places.  I think that helps to get even heat especially with direct cooks.  I tried the light in the middle with a low and slow and it basically burnt down the middle.  No temp problems so I guess that is OK,  just had a ring of un-burnt lump after I shut it down.
  • I would recommend getting the electric charcoal starter and stick it in the middle under the coals. It is the most effective/easiest way I've experienced lighting the egg.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    When lighting, it really depends on how hot you are going to be cooking.  I use the lighter chimney (uses 2 pieces of news print to get started) method, but when doing low/slow only light 1/3-1/2 full dump it in the fire box an cover with additional to last the length of the cook. I have never had to add after this initial load even for 16+hr cooks.  And for hotter cooks (350+) I will use a full chimney.  I have an XL.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2011
    I would recommend getting the electric charcoal starter and stick it in the middle under the coals. It is the most effective/easiest way I've experienced lighting the egg.
    I agree!  I'd add that it's cheapest way to go as well.  An $8 starter will last for years.  I leave the starter in 8 minutes, stir the coals, put the lid down with the vent and cap wide open. Then wait 10 minutes and you're ready to cook.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I use this same method except I leave the lid open while it's lighting. Once I have a decent size fire, I'll close the lid and start adjusting my vents.
    I would recommend getting the electric charcoal starter and stick it in the middle under the coals. It is the most effective/easiest way I've experienced lighting the egg.
    I agree!  I'd add that it's cheapest way to go as well.  An $8 starter will last for years.  I leave the starter in 8 minutes, stir the coals, put the lid down with the vent and cap wide open. Then wait 10 minutes and you're ready to cook.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I've had a propane torch for plumbing that has been sitting around for years and thought why not use it on my new Egg ... it's quick & easy and a new bottle was only $4.50 CDN

Didn't have good luck with the paper towel oil method ... have seen the post on the proper way to do it will try again.

Used the chimney once and it worked very well.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.