Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow butt!

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am smoking a port butt for people at work (they keep asking ... almost begging)! I put a 6 pounder on last night at 9:30 pm. [p]WG charcoal and guava wood chunks have done a great job of holding temp a just a little over 200 (maybe 215). Meat temp now only 163 (just beginning to plateau). I've bumped temp to 225-230 range. Man is does smell great.[p]A big thanks to Mark Backer (a.k.a new dad to be Todd) for bringing WG charcoal to Atlanta and Guavawood (a.k.a Greg Kemp in Hawaii) for making the guava wood chunks available through the mail!!

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Smokey,I think your temp should be more at 250 dome, yours seem too low and may take forever to finish

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Smokey,[p]Sounds great! I've had butts take over 18 hours at that temp though. Let us know how it is with the Guava wood. I normally use Hickory with butts.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Smokey,
    I just got some Guava wood chunks from Hawaii also. I'm going to use some on ribs today. Hope they're good. See-Yaa

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    LoveHandles,
    great minds run together, Mike! I'm using guava for baby backs today as well. I rubbed them 20 hours ago with Ken Stones' Witchy Red so I think the two tastes will work well together. Good luck with yours!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smokey
    RRP,[p]I find that Guava wood gives a nice mild flavor. Great with chicken, turkey and seafood. The red oak, sugar maple and hickory I have used are also nice, but I now finding hickory stronger than I want.[p]I don't want the smoke flavor compliment the food (could my taste be maturing). [p]I'm now on an apple and black cherry wood kick. Both offer a subtle flavor and put additional emphasis on marinades, spices and overall prep![p]For about two years now, mesquite is totally OFF the menu![p]Still enjoy a cold PBR every now and then (so much for improving taste)!
  • Smokey
    Smokey,[p]Need to proofread more![p]"I don't want the smoke flavor overpower the food, but compliment it".
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Smokey,
    I agree on the mesquite - that's only good for LawnRanger's handles in my book. I am partial to pecan and apple. I've used guava twice now once on a big batch of ABTs and they were great. Also on a pork tenderloin so I thought I'd try it on the b/b today.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.