Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajita - how to season the skirt ?

EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hello to all,

never had Fajitas so far, but will shortly change that :-)

The skirt is already in the freezer. But I´m wondering what ist your favorit way of seasoning the skirt ? There are thousands of ways with marinade, some w/o marinade...

Just want to ask what your favourite way is ?

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• When fajitas got popular, the price of skirt steaks went through the roof.  I use flap steak now, and I think it's even better than skirt.

For a marinade, I use a can of Chipolte in Adobo sauce, a little lemon juice, minced garlic, EVOO, and Penzey's Fajita Seasoning.  I like to play around with the marinade, and next time, I might add some coffee beans to it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    i marinade them in lime, oil, soy.

then on the grill with a generic bbq rub with a bit of cumin.
    context is important :)
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, some smoked paprika. Then make a paste with some lime juice and a little oil. I like to marinate overnight if you can.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    When we do our marinade, we usually use some Mole sauce, some cumin, garlic, chipotle, and red pepper.  The other thing we use is a Foodsaver vaccuum sealer.  We put the meat in a canister with the marinade, vaccuum seal it, and the pores of the meat open up and aborb the sweet nectar of the spices!!  :)  Leave it sit in the fridge at least overnight.  Happy Grilling. :)
  • My marinade is more of a rub. I shake some Worcestershire sauce to get the meat a little wet, then take a fajita packet seasoning you buy in the store and rub it on, repeat opposite side. Let sit in fridge overnight.
  • I do a wet marinade of:

Olive oil
    fresh lime juice
    garlic
    chipotle
    jalapeno
    cilantro
    cumin
    S+P

all this blended in a mini processor.

• I did some skirt steaks the other night.  I made the marinade found here

It is very tasty and the first thing I though was fajitas!  The skirt steak was very tasty,  although a bit chewy.  I think I like flank steaks better for fajitas.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2011
    Stubbs is the best store bought marinade out there.
    I use this all the time for my skirts and flanks:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Man that makes me remember when Lubbock had a Stubbs .  That was some dang good BBQ Any time i make it to Austin i go by there

Wont be often now that im living in Albuquerque
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    This thread made me hungry for fajitas, so I headed to the supermarket for some skirt steak.  They were out, but they had flatiron steaks for half-price, so I tried that (I've never cooked flatiron before).
    Marinated it one hour in lime juice, soy, and water; rinsed, dried, and sprinkled with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning.  Grilled it quickly over a very hot fire & Jack Daniels barrel chips.  Came out very, very good; I also made another fresh salsa with grilled tomatoes, serrano and poblano chiles; then processed with salt, lime juice, clove of fresh garlic and cilantro, yum!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• thanks folks for such good replies !