Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Arrives Friday

asfish
asfish Posts: 25
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hello everyone, I’m from the UK and my XL EGG with loads of accessories arrives Friday.

Unlike a lot of you my wife has taken some convincing, mostly as I have a PRO Q smoker and two other barbecues.
Annoyingly I’ve very busy this weekend so Egg cooking opportunities will be limited.
Looking forward to using it though!

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Congrats Asfish!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    You will be hooked like the rest of us, no doubt! I have an ABS Smoker, a trailer rig, and a Weber Ranch Kettle....all of which have sat idle since I got my XL Egg for my birthday in July. Good luck and congrats!
    Paula West Texas
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    congrats on the new egg. sounds like you've got some experience smoking. I'm sure you'll knock them out of the park on the egg... be sure to post pics.... we love pics :)
    context is important :)
  • Congrats, Asfish !  Like you, I had a Pro Q, Webers, Bradley, and an offset BBQ pit.  Nothing compares to the BGE.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Congrats and remember....practice makes perfect.  :D
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Congrats on the purchase Asfish! I hope you enjoy your new BGE. What ya gonna cook first?
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Congrats on your purchase... Your gonna love it!
    Todd www.smokinfyrpit.com https://www.facebook.com/SmokinFyrPit pitmaster@smokinfyrpit.com Dragon Breath Lump Charcoal Dealer XL Big Green Egg & Large Big Green Egg Rebel 23' Smoker DigiQ DXII & Cyber Que WIFI KCBS Member & CBJ
  • bcdon
    bcdon Posts: 17
    Congratulations. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your new egg. 
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I've had mine a week and I'm selling my ProQ .... :)

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • It arrived around 2pm and I was shocked to see how big it was. This was sort of strange as I have seen them before when I did some homework before buying.

I was worried that it wouldn’t go down the side of the house for a while, the wheels were off the hard path for a while, but I got it around the back in the end.

I also got loads of extras, pizza stone, searing grill, extender etc.

So I just set it all up and admired it really, I know that sounds really poor, but I have a busy weekend. I’m going to my brothers tomorrow and then into London on Sunday for pre-arranged events.

I just want to take my time with it. Just having it on my patio is a different experience.

As for my other barbecues, plan to hang on to them for now, as I’m sure with a big party then will be useful, my brother is already trying to get the Pro Q off me though.

As for the first cook I’m not sure, did some internet research which allowed me to translate “Boston Butt” into a cut my local UK butcher understood, so now have 3 X 3KG ready to collect Saturday AM.

Think it will be the Boston Butt slow and low with very good friends around for the tasting in case I mess it up!.

• Squeezy
    Keep us posted and take some pix ...
  • Asfish, very much as you just had my egg delivered this week but a busy kids sport taxi and work schedule has it untouched in the garage! Roll on the weekend!

I would love to try the Boston Butt and your assistance in translating the cut for my great butcher here in Scotland would be brilliant. I am already his most demanding customer, looks like it is going to get worse!

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

Check out the Naked Whiz online. He has some charts to show where the "BostonButt'' cut is located.

I am also curious as to what it is called "across the pond".

Asfish my wife also took a while to convince.

Kbradie the "boston butt" is high on the front shoulder.

Lance Armstrong says it is not about the bike but the egg will make a good cook great and a great cook better. 

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • asfish
    edited November 2011

Hi Kbradie

I printed this off when ordering the butt from my butcher in the UK, he knew what it was straight away just by another name!

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/ss/cutsofpork_2.htm

• asfish

So far I have cooked a butt for 8 hours which was really nice, I also did some pork loin as well

The wife and I went on a pizza and pasta making course, after this we did some really good pizza on the egg

My wife told her sister who came around the next weekend with some other people for more pizza

Despite me "burning the egg in" I managed to burn the seal

The BGE distributer sent me another one for free, not put it on yet and cooked a butt ok with the damage seal a couple of weeks ago

All in all I love it. The Christmas bird is going in it!

• Squeezy

Ribmaster ... I am also curious as to what it is called "across the pond".

That would be the Atlantic Ocean, usually referred to by Brits visiting North America.

• asfish

One butcher I spoke 2 called the Butt "neckend"

I will check with my local one this week as I will be ordering 2 from him:)

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited May 2012
    What about Eggin' up some 'Mad Cow'? I always get asked about that when I donate blood! Cheers, mate, I'm glad we all have somewhere to go that has an Egg now when we go over to the U.K.!
  • GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    In the U.K. it is sometimes called pork hand and spring, or just pork hand, in Australia it is called scotch fillet or pork neck.  I cook a lot of jambalaya using boston butt and had to figure out what it was called when sharing my recipe with foreign friends.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Hey asfish,

Where are you located.

• asfish
    Hey asfish,

Where are you located.

Sandhurst