Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow, amazing temperature control!

Options
CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've had some issues recently with my fire going out and I figured it was due to too much ash building up, or else I hadn't let my fire get established  before closing down the vents.  (The last time my fire went out I found a half burned firestarter in the lump.)  After yesterday I'm pretty sure my problem was the latter.

I fired up my Egg at about 8:00 am yesterday for an all day brisket cook.  Unfortunately, I only had enough lump to fill the fire box.  Found an old bag of half burned lump that I had set aside after a cleaning so I poured that in.  (Along with about a cup of ash.  Oops.)  Now I was about halfway up the fire ring so I searched some more and I found a half full bag of Lazaro Mesquite. (Don't like this stuff as the pieces are all different sizes and it hisses and spits a lot.)  That went in, too.

This time I let my fire burn for awhile before closing down the vents.  It settled in at 300 but eventually came down to 250 and that's when I put on my brisket.  Checked the temperature every hour or so and here's what I saw on the thermometer:

9:00am - 256 degrees
9:45am - 252 degrees
10:30am - 251 degrees
11:50am - 250 degrees
1: 30pm - 248 degrees
3:15pm - 252 degrees
4:50pm - 251 degrees
6:30pm - 247 degrees
7:15pm - 250 degree  (PULLED THE BRISKET)

NOTE: I did not adjust the vents or DFMT at all.  Not one time.

After I pulled the brisket I wanted to separate the point from the flat but it was too hot and I couldn't find the seam. So I just foiled the whole thing and left the Egg going.  After an hour or so I cut into the brisket, found the point and pulled it off.  Then I cubed it and added some BBQ sauce for burnt ends.  Back on the grill.

8:30pm - 250 degrees
9:30pm - 245 degrees
10:30pm - 243 degrees
11:00pm -245 degrees (PULLED THE BURNT ENDS)

Again, I didn't make a single adjustment to the vents once I got my temps stabilized.  That's pretty amazing, especially considering that my lump had a layer of fresh Cowboy (Whole Foods brand), then a layer of pure ash and half-burned lump, then a layer of Lazaro Mesquite.  And I still had some left when I checked this morning!

Comments