Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wow, amazing temperature control!

CrazyHarryCrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've had some issues recently with my fire going out and I figured it was due to too much ash building up, or else I hadn't let my fire get established  before closing down the vents.  (The last time my fire went out I found a half burned firestarter in the lump.)  After yesterday I'm pretty sure my problem was the latter.

I fired up my Egg at about 8:00 am yesterday for an all day brisket cook.  Unfortunately, I only had enough lump to fill the fire box.  Found an old bag of half burned lump that I had set aside after a cleaning so I poured that in.  (Along with about a cup of ash.  Oops.)  Now I was about halfway up the fire ring so I searched some more and I found a half full bag of Lazaro Mesquite. (Don't like this stuff as the pieces are all different sizes and it hisses and spits a lot.)  That went in, too.

This time I let my fire burn for awhile before closing down the vents.  It settled in at 300 but eventually came down to 250 and that's when I put on my brisket.  Checked the temperature every hour or so and here's what I saw on the thermometer:

9:00am - 256 degrees
9:45am - 252 degrees
10:30am - 251 degrees
11:50am - 250 degrees
1: 30pm - 248 degrees
3:15pm - 252 degrees
4:50pm - 251 degrees
6:30pm - 247 degrees
7:15pm - 250 degree  (PULLED THE BRISKET)

NOTE: I did not adjust the vents or DFMT at all.  Not one time.

After I pulled the brisket I wanted to separate the point from the flat but it was too hot and I couldn't find the seam. So I just foiled the whole thing and left the Egg going.  After an hour or so I cut into the brisket, found the point and pulled it off.  Then I cubed it and added some BBQ sauce for burnt ends.  Back on the grill.

8:30pm - 250 degrees
9:30pm - 245 degrees
10:30pm - 243 degrees
11:00pm -245 degrees (PULLED THE BURNT ENDS)

Again, I didn't make a single adjustment to the vents once I got my temps stabilized.  That's pretty amazing, especially considering that my lump had a layer of fresh Cowboy (Whole Foods brand), then a layer of pure ash and half-burned lump, then a layer of Lazaro Mesquite.  And I still had some left when I checked this morning!

·

Comments