Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket advice/help

Options
southerncanuck
southerncanuck Posts: 7
edited August 2011 in Forum List
Am considering egging my first brisket this weekend.  Problem is I won't be around all day sunday to monitor, nor do I want to stay up all night.

Question is, can i cook it for 12 hours on Sunday, say 9am to 9pm, take it off, wrap in foil, blankets and place in cooler overnight, then put it back on Monday late morning to be served in the afternoon?

I'm sure this will depend on what temp it gets to Sunday, assume at least 160.

Any advice on how to split the cook over two days would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    some info here about keeping meat warm in a cooler

I think over 12 hours is too long to keep it warm.

you could put it on at 7or 8 and check it before you go to bed.(It should be stable by that point)

take it out the next morning wrap it up

or
    cook it sunday. put it in the fridge over night. take it out and warm it up

I've reheated a large part of a brisket with a little bit of coffee(it was a coffee based rub) and was still very moist.

context is important :)
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    southerncanuck 
    The Egg will take care of the cook for you. With a little care you can put the meat on and go to bed without worry. 
    Start with clean lower gate and the holes on the side of fire box clear. Load it with fresh lump at least halfway up the fire ring.  Start the fire in 3 spots about 3 inches from the middle. Let them burn till you see red coals. Put plate setter, drip pan, and rack in and bring to you desired cooking temp. Let it stabilize for 30 minutes without having to adjust upper or lower vents. Put the meat on and don't touch the settings. After about 4 hours - wiggle rod the lower grate. That's it. 
    That's a 30 hour set up on a LBGE.
    The magic chef inside will do the rest. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • GadgetGeek
    GadgetGeek Posts: 13
    edited September 2011
    Options
    this seems like the right thread to ask this question.  Though I have cooked on a BGE for years and years I have seldom done a brisket.  One of my attempts turned out more like a weapon than a food item so I have just not done them, sticking rather to the other things I know and practice on frequently.

Now I have a brisket (for today-Labor Day) in the chiller, I have purchased just the FLAT, not a whole brisket (packer). I have a bunch of hours to make it happen, I have a Digi Q II, and am a practiced cooker.

Give me some guidelines if you have time, about timing, I have a good rub, I have an injector if I need to do that, I just want this one to be a good dinner later today.