Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Trouble

Options
I love bacon
I love bacon Posts: 8
edited September 2011 in Forum List
I put a 7# butt on last night around midnight.  The dome temp was right at 120.  It is now 2:45 and the butt is only at 150 internal temp.  I have also noticed there is not much dripping in my drip pan.  Did I go too low and slow.  I just wrapped it in tinfoil and when I picked it up it wasn't even close to falling apart.  I'm going on 15 hrs.  What to do.  Time is not an issue so I can wait but just wondering everyones opinion.
Thanks

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Seriously ... 120º pit temp?  You need to be 225º up to 275º to even have a chance of cooking that meat.

Go ahead and finish in the oven foiled, you'll have enough smoke. When internal hits 190º or better, it'll will be done.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Options
    If the dome temp stayed below 120 for more than 2 hours, ie the butt stayed at under 140 degrees for more than 2 hours, health and safety concerns may require you to scrap the project.   I use the 40-140 degree rule. A cooling environment  below 40 or a heating environment above 140 is necessary.  Leaving meat within this range  for over 2 hours  can be a health risk.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Options
    I think that it is suppossed to be 220 because 2 and quarter hours after started the temp was 150 that is thirty degrees higher than the grill folks.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Options
    Gee,I think the op means 15 hours later-2:45 pm the next afternoon, not 2:45 am that same night as he says it was going on 15 hours. If only 2 hours later you are right.
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Options
    Yeah  Jeffm I think your right on the time. I just didn't read that right.
    Who cares I'll post where I want