Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How much rub?

Sm62577Sm62577 Posts: 30
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Last few times I've done ribs there way too salty,,how much rub generally do you put on a rack of ribs,,every video or book says don't be stingy with the rub,,the rubs I use are top notch rubs I order from respected Pittmasters from all around..I coat my ribs with mustard to help the rub adhere to the meat,,is this causing the saltiness? Thx..

Comments

• I don't know if the mustard causes the saltiness.  I think using mustard is an Eastern US practice.  I, and everyone I know here (Texas), uses worcestershire sauce to make the rub stick.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• boston_stokerboston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited December 2011
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,619
    Rubs used with meat on the Egg may turn out a little different than with other cookers. Ribs typically don't need much if any mopping, so the rub does not get diluted. Also, the salty effect would be dulled if you used a lot of sauce, which is a common practice with commercial ribs.

Anyway, I'd also suggest making your own rubs. The basic formulation is just lots of brown sugar, and paprika, with black pepper and salt as the second row of flavor. Then lots of other stuff in fairly small quantities.

Except for beef rubs, which tend to be lower in sugar and higher in salt.

I use a flavorless oil as the base to hold on rubs.