Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb

Options
CajunSmoker
CajunSmoker Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning....cooking a 6lb leg of lamb this afternoon. Following Mike Poole's recipe (rosemary, garlic, balsamic, etc rub) and smoke with mesquite smoke. Anyone tried this recipe or have any reccomendations? Its a big leg so I doubt it will cook in 24 min (per his recipe) so I will be leaning on my instant read. Anyway, first time leg on the egg...thoughts if any would be appreciated.[p]CS

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    CajunSmoker,
    I've done Leg 'o' lamb with mesquite before and it was a little overpowering for my taste (I do like smoke on things).
    Since then all I use is a little maple or just let the natural flavors from the lump do their job. I think the fat tends to pick up a lot of smoke. I've also used cherry and pecan. Mild smoke seems to impart a nice subtle touch. Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter what.

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    CajunSmoker, my favourite method for leg of lamb is to butterfly the leg. This is easy to do yourself if you have a good knife.
    I then marinade the leg for 12/18 hours in a mix of good olive oil, plenty (3/4 large cloves) of sliced garlic, some sprigs of Rosemary & Thyme, apple juice, and crushed pepper corns.
    I then reshape the leg and cook in a V rack on indirect heat at 300 degrees for 70 minutes. I like my leg just better than rare and this always works for me. The meat needs to rest for 15 minutes after cooking.
    I normally serve this with garlic potatoes (sliced potatoes cooked in the oven with cream and plenty of garlic) for about 1 hour. There is plenty of garlic in this meal, so be careful that everyone you meet for the next few hours, was around to enjoy the lamb, or they will not enjoy the after effects.
    Enjoy,
    Roger.

• CajunSmoker
    CajunSmoker Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, especially on the smoke. I like smoke too, but will tone it down with just some apple chips. Will try and post a picture later this evening.
  • Unknown
    Options
    CajunSmoker, Did ja wrap a lot of rosemary twigs in thar, and throw some in the coals too? Very tastey indeed...[p]HML

• Unknown
    Options
    irishrog, Potatoes cooked in the OVEN !! ??[p] ..sounds strange when smokey heat is avail free while cookin the lamb..[p]HML