Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to apply rub to meat?...

Options
Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
(specifically a Boston butt in this case).  I've always applied a rub 2-4 hours out, as I've always read/heard that you need to be careful not to apply your rub too early, as the salt in the rub can dry out the meat.  However, lately I'm seeing that a good number of people are applying their rubs the night before.  With that being said, which method is correct?  Does it depend on the meat itself?  I could see how you could get away with applying a rub to a Boston butt the night before, but not to ribs (for example) as the ribs would dry out more quickly than a butt would.  Thoughts?

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I'm sure others will chime in but I do not believe when you add your seasoning will dry out the meat.  I just do my butts the day before and have never had an issue.  Did a rib roast the other week and it sat in the fridge, seasoned, for 3 days and we had no juice problems whatsoever.  I do think you could end up a bit too seasoned depending on how much you add and how long it sits.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    edited September 2011
    Options

The problem I had with over night was the taste. I don't recall the dryness of the meat been the problem. It was a home made rub with ribs. My ribs were simply too salty. Salty as unpleasant and over powering.

After I only used the same batch of rub for few hours before the cook and everything was great. I will be making more of that rub with less salt for over night seasoning. If I need to apply the rub before the cook, I would simply add more salt to the portion to be used that day.

Good Luck!

Marc

Marc
  • Egg Juju
    Options

I have always done mine the night before without any issues.  I don't think there are necessarily any wrong answers, but more personal preference.  I have done ribs the night before as well and that has been OK too.  Some say it makes the ribs "hammy" but I haven't noticed that.  Having said that I don't normally do ribs the night before any more as a matter of convenience.

I wouldn't recommend doing smaller cuts the night before, but a butt, clod, turkey, big chicken are all large enough to handle that in my opinion.

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I've never done pork, but I rub my briskets a few minutes before putting them on the Egg. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I usually rub about an hour before, to give the rub a chance to melt some into the meat. I haven't noticed any dryness from over night rubs, but some ribs were rather "hammy." Not a bad thing, just a little strange. I've rubbed various meats just in salt, and left them wrapped in the fridge for up to 3 days. Being wrapped, they could not dry, but became fairly salty.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I used to go overnights but I haven't done it that way in years.  I rub within a hour of putting the meat on no matter what cut.  I've just found, for myself, I can't tell any difference.  Just easier to put it one right before the meat is about to go on.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• wolfsburg18
    Options
    I leave the salt out of my rubs or cut it down significantly if am going to leave a rub on over night then add salt just prior to cooking if needed.   Ultimately it is up to you and what you feel provides the best flavor.