Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt

Options
southerncanuck
southerncanuck Posts: 7
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Did my first butt about a month after getting my Egg. Had only cooked steaks and chicken up to that point but after reading so many good things on this forum I decided to try a butt for a small dinner party.  Up at 4am, butt on the egg at 5am @240.  Had a very long stall time from a little before noon to 3pm @160-165.  Got a little worried around 4pm and bumped the dome temp up to above 300 to push it along.  Imagine a lot of you are thinking sacrilege, but it turned out great.  13 hours on the egg overall, 1 hour wrapped in a cooler.

Comments

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options

It doesn't look like sacrelege... it looks like tasty!  ;)

It is very common to hit a plateau in that range and I usually double wrap in aluminum foil about 160 or 170 and bump the temp to 275 - 300 till it is 195.  Then I rest it in a cooler with some towels for a couple of hours and it is amazingly succulent.

A really nice job on the first butt...Grats!

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • southerncanuck
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    My butt stalled for about three hours too.  I didn't have a party to worry about so I kept the temp the same, but was awfully hungry by the time I got to 200.  I'm bumping the heat next time, like you did.
    Looks great!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month