Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokey desserts fix

Options
grfsmiths
grfsmiths Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
We just bought a BGE and LOVE it! Have made several meals on it the last week or so, but the Peach Cobbler was NOT a hit. We had cooked steaks for dinner and put the cobbler on to cook for about 90 minutes @ 350. The cobbler cooked great, but the smoky taste was not a good addition to the flavor of the peaches! Any hints for a New Egger?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    If you cook a meat with fat in it, the drippings will have to burn off before the smell will become neutral. Next time let the Egg run along with nothing in it for 20-30 after the meat cook. Or better yet, cook the cobbler first and then the steaks.
    A simple trick to test for what the smoke flavor is doing - place the palm of your hand in the exhaust out the top vent. After a few seconds smell your skin - that is the smell being imparted to your cook. 
    As a side note: after you start the Egg - wait till the heavy black and grey smoke has cleared.
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    After reading my post above - I hope you understand not to stick your hand in the exhaust.... just in the smoke you see leaving the Egg.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    A simple trick to test for what the smoke flavor is doing - place the palm of your hand in the exhaust out the top vent. After a few seconds smell your skin - that is the smell being imparted to your cook. 
    Thanks for the hint!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• grfsmiths
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I can see where using real charcoal helps as well instead of the brickettes. I am still on my first bag of BGE charcoal, and at the risk of being sacrilegious, are there any other charcoals that work? 
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    I'd suggest you look around here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    some of the best info you will find
    Kent Madison MS
  • wolfsburg18
    Options
    We just bought a BGE and LOVE it! Have made several meals on it the last week or so, but the Peach Cobbler was NOT a hit. We had cooked steaks for dinner and put the cobbler on to cook for about 90 minutes @ 350. The cobbler cooked great, but the smoky taste was not a good addition to the flavor of the peaches! Any hints for a New Egger?
    Did you cook your cobbler covered or uncovered?

I use the old boy scout dutch oven and method of equal parts of fruit juice and water in a box mix, peaches in the bottom.  Cover with foil then add the lid back.   If you can pull a few coals for the top then insert the dutch oven and allow to cook for 75 minutes.

Hope your next cobbler turns out better!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I can see where using real charcoal helps as well instead of the brickettes. I am still on my first bag of BGE charcoal, and at the risk of being sacrilegious, are there any other charcoals that work? 
    I just use Royal Oak most of the time.  Hopefully still available at Walmart here. 
  • grfsmiths
    Options
    According to most of the info here and elsewhere the Royal Oak is the same as the BGE lump. I will check it out at Walmart around here. I never thought of covering the cobbler, that is a good idea. Maybe that is why I am not allowed to cook except on the BGE!