Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Price of Brisket and Gold

PhotoPro
PhotoPro Posts: 47
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Don't see a lot of difference any more.  We went to Publix and bought a 6.5 pound chunk of flat for $50.00.   What has happened?  Brisket used to be the cheap cut along with flank steak and chuck.  I used to buy 16 pound packers because they were cheap and I could feed a lot of people for a few dollars.  Soon I'll be switching to gold leafed caviar to save money.  :)

Where can I get decent prices in SW Georgia?  I feel sorry for the competing pros.  You have to make reserve champion just to break even on meat!

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Wow, I haven't seen a price like that, but I haven't bought a brisket in a couple months.

I wonder if the severe draught, and the massive cattle selloff, in Texas has something to do with it.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Kroger in Macon has been having packers for $2.49/lb.  When I'm lucky they discount the cryovaced packer the day before I plan to smoke it.  Publix, at least here in middle Ga is usually quite a bit higher than Kroger.
  • This weekend I did my first full brisket and picked it up from Kroger.  1.49/lb. in Denver, I spoke with my uncle and he picked up his last brisket a few weeks ago and got it for 1.99/lb from Sams Club and he lives in Alpharetta Ga.  

Meat prices have been all over the board this summer from what I have seen, I think it is partially due to the drought conditions that have been present in the south plains would be my guess.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    I am in ATL and am picking up a brisket this week. Most of the prices I have seen are between 1.99-2.49.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • windnsea26
    windnsea26 Posts: 159
    It's about $4.99 per lb. in San Diego, CA.  I'll have to call around.  For that much money, I'd rather buy some steaks..
    San Diego, CA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Having worked for a meat company, one of their brands is Ranchers Choice (Safeway) and Excel Beef (Sam's club, Walmart and some grocery chains.) and the quality is usually top notch, prices do tend to inflate during severe droughts.

The greatest benefit we had was being able to buy meat really cheap - one time they had some hamburger (90% stuff) for .15/lb.. I got 80 lbs. 
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Cash and Carry on Seattle usually has large choice packers for 2.20/lb or so.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658

Was it organic?  Thats about what I see per pound for organic antibiotic free grass fed and pastured beef around here.  Costco... about what the others have said. 

Maybe it was mis-priced?

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • It's about $4.99 per lb. in San Diego, CA.  I'll have to call around.  For that much money, I'd rather buy some steaks..
    Windnsea  - Check around and see if you can purchase it without the butcher trimming it up.   I find that when the butcher trims up the brisket the price almost doubles while you can trim it up yourself for far less.