Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE as an Oven

brenkj
brenkj Posts: 21
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

We're having our kitchen re-done, so we don't have an oven for a few weeks.   We have a great recipe for cooking a marinated pork tenderloin in the oven, and with no oven, we'd like to try it on my XL BGE.  I've used the BGE as a grill and a smoker, but never as an oven.  I know I should use the plate setter.   Are there any other tricks to replicating this oven recipe in the BGE?   For example, if the recipe calls for 350 degrees, should I try to get the dome temp to exactly 350, or something else to account for the difference in temp between dome and cooking grid?    Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    I do not own an oven personally and cook everything on my egg.

This may or may be wrong but it "WORKS FOR ME":

Setup the egg as indirect using your plate setter.   Add a grid a few inches above the plate setter so that the grid is slightly below the dome temperature gauge and cook as normal.

Try to make sure the upper dome is up to temperature before starting the cook by closing off the top daisy wheel for a few minutes and note if the temperature drops below the needed point.

The nice thing about the egg is there are more than one way to do it and all of them are right... :)

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I read on another post the other day to bake things on the Egg at 25* higher dome temp than an oven recipe calls for. I guess for the differential between dome and grid temps.
  • GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    25 times or degrees?

Personally I have not seen that need but of course your mileage may vary (YMMV).

• Misippi Egger
    Degrees. Just what I read on a Post answering a similar question about equivalent baking.
    Experience has taught me my grid temp is usually 25-30 degrees cooler than my dome temp (both thermometers being calibrated) and many others on the forum have mentioned similar findings. On a very long cook at a low temp (225-250), the two temps will approach the same number with time, but that shouldn't apply to the baking issue.
  • I don't know that the 25 degrees will make a difference.  The average electric oven cycles up and down 50 degrees or so.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Misippi Egger
    Interesting fact, Whiz.

I've learned something new today!

Thx
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I don't know that the 25 degrees will make a difference.  The average electric oven cycles up and down 50 degrees or so.
    Interesting.

We got hit with a bit of the Hurricane Irene the other day and lost power for the day here in NC.  We have a gas stove so I can still do stuff on the top of the stove.  Anyways I wanted to bake some brownies for the kids.  All I had was the EGG.  I did them at the temp suggested by the recipe on the box.  I think I maybe added about 5-10 minutes of cooking time and this is normal for me cooking in my gas oven as well.  Not sure why, but I always have to cook things a bit longer.  Maybe it needs recalibrating.  No biggie.

Anyways you can bake anything in that EGG of yours.  Bread, pie (done many), meat and so on.  Just use the plate setter and go for it.  You'll love the results and may stop using the stove.  LOL.

Good luck.