Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt advice

Options
bigwally
bigwally Posts: 8
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked 8 - 10 butts on the egg over the last several years. Low and slow and they make great pull pork.   I cooked one yesterday and it didn't get tender.  I had to slice it instead of pulling it.  6 lb  bone in butt.  10 hrs @ 250 then   2 hrs  wrapped in ice chest.  temp was 195 when i pulled it off.  1st butt using my new digi q blower.  i was a little surprised it reached 195 in 10 hrs.  usually takes 12-14 hours.  
any ideas on what happen?
maybe i need to check the calibration on my thermometer.

thanks,

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i ha e always pulled my butts when they hit 200 i am sure 195 is not that big of a diffrence i dont know why yours did not pull. i would deffinatly calibrate your thermometer or at least put it in boiling water to see if it is off

happy eggin
    tb
    Anderson S.C.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    200-205* here for internal temp.

Might check all your thermometers' calibrations.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I usually take mine off at 195 and never had a problem.  190 however is sliced pork.  Maybe a a calibration dealio as the others have mentioned.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Was it just 195 in one spot? Other areas could've been 185 or 190? Test the therm, take several readings. Also, did you do a fork test? Sometimes 195 isn't quite enough.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Was it just 195 in one spot? Other areas could've been 185 or 190? Test the therm, take several readings. Also, did you do a fork test? Sometimes 195 isn't quite enough.

Excellent point... never trust one spot.  I also will shove the probe in a little further and see what happens to the temp.  If it goes down, then the initial reading is not in the center of the meat.  If it goes up, then I know I am heading out the other side.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com