Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Stoker cook

Options
BrunDog
BrunDog Posts: 27
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Did my first low, slow, and long. Tto date, ribs were my longest cook @ 5 hours. Since I bought a new stoker, I needed to give it a good test. 8 lb pork shoulder, about 16.5 hours overnight. Here is the StokerLog. This thing made it too easy. I can't believe how pinned it kept the temperature, and how little lump the cook used. Can you find the two times I opened the lid??

My advice for any egger who does not have a temperature controller - get one! The Stoker wasn't cheap, but the ~$150 models leave you without excuses.

-BD

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Yep, I love my Stoker too.  My plumber is an old black man who's been BBQing for 60 years with an offest.  I showed him my Stoker graph, told him about the wireless bridge to my computer (which went right over his head).  He just shook his head and walked away.   :-))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    I love my Stoker also.  I use to use the StokerLog all the time (the novelty of it).  I don't anymore.  It stays at whatever I set it at with little or none fluctuation.  Plus for insurance I have my ET-732 hooked up so if something does go wrong the alarm is next to my bed.  Overkill?  Yep.  I love buying new BBQ gadgets.
  • GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    Options
    Just curious, how long did you have to wait for your Stoker.  I am going on 3+ weeks and starting to get a bit aggravated that it still is not here.

• Salty Hogs BBQ
    Salty Hogs BBQ Posts: 171
    edited August 2011
    Options
    After I ordered it, I got in 3-4 days.  Remember, you are getting the new wifi version and they may have a slight delay due to a lot of people wanting to get the newer version.  As you know, it hasn't been out a long time.

I don't need the wifi version (that is basically the only difference between the new and old one) because my Apple Airport Express works perfectly and to be honest I don't use StokerLog anymore.  The novelty wore off for me.  However, it is nice to have and I love my Stoker.

I promise you will love it.  It is worth it.
  • GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    Options
    After I ordered it, I got in 3-4 days.  Remember, you are getting the new wifi version and they may have a slight delay due to a lot of people wanting to get the newer version.  As you know, it hasn't been out a long time.

I don't need the wifi version (that is basically the only difference between the new and old one) because my Apple Airport Express works perfectly and to be honest I don't use StokerLog anymore.  The novelty wore off for me.  However, it is nice to have and I love my Stoker.

I promise you will love it.  It is worth it.
    Thanks, that makes me want it more!!  :)