Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Retrofit Large BGE w/screen

YetiBobYetiBob Posts: 49
edited August 2011 in Forum List

Hi Everyone!

I am rebuilding my egg table (pics to follow) and refurbishing my Large BGE (after 12 years it is time for a new table, gasket and complete cleaning. I cook on a wood deck and would really like to add a screen door to my lower vent. Has anyone done this yet? How hard is it to retrofit? What exactly did you buy?

THANKS!

Bob

·

Comments

• BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    You just want to buy the lower vent assembly. That may not be the official name, but the dealer will be able to figure it out. It comes as a package including bolts, so you do not have to worry about getting the right parts. I do not know if the holes match, but it should be easy to measure yours and compare to a new Egg at a dealer.
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,025
    You can buy just the screen and save a tidy sum. I retrofitted a couple of my larges and the small with no problem. You may have to pry open the channels a little with a flat screw driver if the two doors are too snug.
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    Interesting. I wanted the just the screen and the gave me the whole assembly. It was a warranty issue, so there was no charge in any case.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,964
    Sweet!
    Here's a question on the screen:  On both my Eggs, I can close the solid door in front of, and behind, the screen.  Is there a preferable way to do it, or does it not matter?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    With the screen installed in the rear, It can remain closed at all times and the door can adjust air flow. The tabs seem better set to work this way.
    Kent Madison MS
    ·
  • I bought just the screen for about $9.  The whole assembly coasts about $42.  I put the screen behind the sliding door, just as it is in the newer models that come with the screen.
    ·