Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Ward Sauce

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read on different posts that they use the Elder Ward rub and sauce for briskets and they really enjoy it so I thought it would be a good process to try. I've got the rub mixed. Some of the posts talk about marinading for a day or two. Is that done in the sauce recipe posted for the beans? THe EW sauce looked more like a finishing sauce to serve with the brisket and mix with the beans. Do I have this wrong? I was planning on just rubbing the brisket down and leaving it in the frig overnight - or would longer be better? Will just rubbing it down make it tender enough, or does it need a marinade? I've never done a brisket before so I don't really know the best way to tenderize it.[p]What do you all do? My first brisket attempt will officially begin on Sunday.[p]Thanks,
Jazz

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    BBQ-Jazz,[p]I just did this on Tuesday. The results were very good. I just put the rub on overnight. This rub doesn't do anything to tenderize the meat much...the actual cooking at low temps for a long period is what tendenerizes this cut of meat. My seven pound flat took just over 12 hours. The time of a brisket varies quite a bit from each chunk. I cooked mine to an internal temp of 188 degrees. [p]The sauce you make with the leftover rub is exactly as you thought. Half of the sauce is sauce, and the other half is mixed with the beans and baked. Hope this helped[p]Steve-B
  • Unknown
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]Did you cook it at a temp lower than 275? Ward's instructions say an 11 pounder will cook in about 6-7 hours. I have a 10.5 pounder and I don't want to have to wait until late in the evening because she ain't done cooking yet.
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    BBQ_Jazz,[p]I cooked at 250 like I always do for low-and-slows. I don't know what temp he cooked his to, but I think even at 275 seven hours isn't long enough. Check out this link from Dizzy Pig for info on the fork/tenderness test. [p]Plan for enough time and if it gets done early you can keep it wrapped in foil in a cooler for hours.
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig's Brisket Recipe and Method[/ul]