Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

To pull or not to pull

upinsmokeupinsmoke Posts: 1
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any suggestions on if it is better to pull a butt or leave it be, if I was not going to consume it until the next day. I've heard conflicting stories. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,073
    If you are not going to consume until the next day, I would recommend pulling it first and storing it.  I would guess you will have a much easier time pulling this way.  If you refrigerate it whole, then it is gonna take a while to get it hot enough to pull again.   If you have a foodsaver that is a great way to keep it fresh tasting.  Those zip-loc freezer bags you can get at the grocery store work pretty well too. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 692
    Pull !! 
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 205
    I vote pull, just not the finger.
  • AvocadosAvocados Posts: 465
    edited August 2011
    I always wrap tightly in foil and reheat it whole when it is necessary to cook pulled pork that will not be served the same day.  Just reheat it that way and pull just before serving. I've done over a hundred butts that way over the years when doing very large cooks.  Try it both ways and see what YOU prefer...  ;) 

Have also had good results freezing whole butts when necessary.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,790
    No question, I would pull it right away.  Nothing reheats better than pulled pork.
    It might even be a little better after a reheat.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• WilbyWilby Posts: 155
    Absolutely pull it!
  • I would pull it now and reheat it covered around 250 or so as to not dry out the meat or cook it more.