Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex Steak Diane

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I made a long time recipe using the Trex method for cooking the filet mignon.  It was excellent.
The sauce is made up of beef broth, onion, sugar, and brandy.

Trex-ing

Sauce

Plated

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Awesome cook, VI.  I'll bet that sauce took it over the top !!!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks, ME.  I hope we can start posting a lot of cooks on this new forum.  I appreciate your feedback !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Most of the other guys touting this site so emphatically are not contributing many cooking posts - just ranting about one forum vs the other.  I am trying to participate in both, but I have to admit, there are issues here that still need improving...
    One of the worst things, IMO, is allowing people to post threads of comments in the Cookbook section - it should be reserved for recipes only. Can you imagine what it will be like to try to look up a "pork loin" recipe in several months or a year???
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Looking good!  Thanks for sharing
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Great looking plate...
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks, folks !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Andrew21
    Options
    What are the amounts to make the sauce? And how long did you cook it?
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    edited October 2011
    Options
    VI that looks fantastic! 

and that's a cool lookin table... got a wider shot?
    context is important :)
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Excellent looking.  Can you go into a bit more detail about preparing the sauce and the amount of each ingredient?  Thanks
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    One of the worst things, IMO, is allowing people to post threads of comments in the Cookbook section - it should be reserved for recipes only. Can you imagine what it will be like to try to look up a "pork loin" recipe in several months or a year???
    The "bookmark" I have set for this forum goes to "Latest Posts", not the "Home" page.  That ensures I don't miss anything, but it was only three days ago that I realized that every "Start a New Discussion" that I started myself was automatically put into the "Eggtoberfest" forum, not the main one!  
    There are still some issues with this forum, but they're working them out; Bravo.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lady I work with gave me some Omaha steaks not too long ago and they came with a cook book. I did the steak Diane from there and they were really good.
    (2) 6oz fillets,1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper, 2 tbs butter, 1 tsp Dijon, 2 tbs shallots minced, 1 tbs butter, 1 tbs lemon juice, 1.5 tsp worcestershire, 1 tbs chives, 1 tsp brandy.

Season steak with salt and pepper, melt 2 tbs butter in skillet then add mustard and shallots and cook 7 minutes over medium heat. then add 1 tbs butter, lemon juice, worcestershire and chives and cook 2 more minutes. Add brandy and pour over steaks.

I hot tub my steaks for an hour in 100 degree water and then sear usually 1 to 1.15 minutes or so each side for 4 flips until they hit 125 internal then foil tent them for 5-10 minutes for mediumish rare.
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    Options
    VI, can you post the recipe(s)? I'm getting hungry...
  • Village Idiot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Thanks again.  I've used this recipe for years, so the instructions are not BGE specific.  However, you can translate easily enough.  For instance, I didn't cook the steaks in a skillet of butter, but on the Egg.

¾ cup Beef stock
    2 tablespoons Wine, dry red
    1 teaspoon Sugar
    1 teaspoon Pepper , coarsley chopped
    4 Steaks, 3/4" to 1" thick, 6 to 8 oz.
    3 tablespoons Butter, more
    ¼ cup Brandy, or cognac

Melt 3 T butter. Add onion. Cook and stir until golden. Stir in stock, wine, and sugar. Cook until reduced by half.

Place steaks on sheet of waxed paper. Coat steaks with pepper on both sides, pressing into steaks.

Melt 3 T butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add steaks; cook to desired doneness, turning once. Transfer steaks to a heated platter; set aside and keep warm.

Remove skillet from heat; cool slightly. Add brandy. Heat gently over low heat. Remove from heat.

Carefully ignite, using long wooden match. Let stand until flames die.

Add onion and butter mixture to brandy in skillet. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. 

Pour sauce over steaks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Man that looks and sounds great.  I have just printed the recipe.  Friday night steak baby!!!  Steak Diane!  I usually make a mushroom sauce with bourbon and it's pretty dang good, but will surely try this.  Need to get some brandy though.