Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting Temps down to 225-250?

Options
JT$
JT$ Posts: 1
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I am going to attempt my first brisket. I have know trouble getting my egg hot, I can't seem to get it below 300 to smoke it. I have been attempting to get all the lump lit and then bringing the temp down by closing the dampers. It seems to get as low as 300 and stops. Should I just keep waiting for it to go down? If so when I open the dampers a little to give it air; making sure it does not go out will it heat back up to 300. 
Any suggestions? 

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    JT
    When you lite your Egg, you want to stop the rising of the temp before it get to your desired temp. For example- when the lump has red edges, put the plate setter in, and close the lid. Leave the top daisy wheel off and the bottom vent wide open. When the temp gets to 190-200 close the bottom vent 1/2 way and put the daisy wheel on. When it gets to 225 close the bottom vent to only 1/4 of the opening and close top vent so only the little holes are venting. When it gets to 250 - close the bottom vent till it is only 1/8-1/4"
    You should let the Egg stabilize for 30 minutes without having to adjust the vents. Put the meat in and don't touch the upper or lower settings- temp will drop but recover in an hour or so. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Good suggestions, BBQ Maven. 
    @JT$:  It is not necessary to get all your lump lit.  For a low and slow cook, I fill to half-way up the fire ring, then I only light three small areas on top of my lump (10-2-6 o'clock positions). Once they have red edges, in goes the platesetter, a drip pan, if using, and the grid. I try NOT to have a big fire (use BBQ Maven's instructions about vent settings). Your fire will slowly burn down into the rest of the lump during the long cook.
  • jwh70
    jwh70 Posts: 5
    Options
    I fill the firebox full for a long cook and then light the middle with an electric charcoal starter. In about 10 min. the center is lit and then I open the bottom vent all the way with the top wide open and llet it get to 300deg then I put the adjustable vent on at the top put the platesetter  drip pan and cooking grate on. Iclose the bottom vent to about 2inches and close the top all the way with the daisy wheel almost wide open until the temp stabilizes at 240-250. It usually takes about 45min to get the temp just right before I throw the food on
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    For low and slow I light one area in the middle with my torch. By lighting everything you are getting way too much burn going at once.
    In Maryland
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Plus 1 on YetiBob
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Actually, I found the best was for me to do low and slow without some sort of BBQ Guru device was to prepare a bed of charcoal leaving enough room for one chimneyfull of lit charcoal.  I get a chimeyfull going red hot, dump it in on top of the prepared charcoal, spread it around, add the plate setter, drip pan, grid and meat, and close the lid.  The temp started rising and I stopped it at 230 where it stayed for about 20 hours.    The secret of course is getting everything into the cooker immediately and closing the lid before the ceramic begins to heat up. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • strngr12
    strngr12 Posts: 1
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I know this is old, but in case someone else has this problem, if you overshoot your temp and get the egg too hot and find it difficult to cool down, grab your hose and water it. You're fighting the temperature of the ceramic, not the fire. You're only cooling down the outside surface, but that will draw heat from the inside surface. It will take some time, but it will work. I was stuck at 300 - 325 and got it down to 225 in about 15 minutes.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    BBQMaven said:
    JT
    When you lite your Egg, you want to stop the rising of the temp before it get to your desired temp. For example- when the lump has red edges, put the plate setter in, and close the lid. Leave the top daisy wheel off and the bottom vent wide open. When the temp gets to 190-200 close the bottom vent 1/2 way and put the daisy wheel on. When it gets to 225 close the bottom vent to only 1/4 of the opening and close top vent so only the little holes are venting. When it gets to 250 - close the bottom vent till it is only 1/8-1/4"
    You should let the Egg stabilize for 30 minutes without having to adjust the vents. Put the meat in and don't touch the upper or lower settings- temp will drop but recover in an hour or so. 
    This. DO NOT EVER let it overshoot temperature, and then cool .... it takes forever!  Too much ceramic in that egg to have it cool down ... that's the whole point of the egg ... it is a huge heat sync!  Go slowly up ... light your fire in only one spot ... you need a good 45 minutes to complete a warm up. Go fast, and you'll waste a lot of time trying to get things under control again.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    strngr12 said:
    I know this is old, but in case someone else has this problem, if you overshoot your temp and get the egg too hot and find it difficult to cool down, grab your hose and water it. You're fighting the temperature of the ceramic, not the fire. You're only cooling down the outside surface, but that will draw heat from the inside surface. It will take some time, but it will work. I was stuck at 300 - 325 and got it down to 225 in about 15 minutes.
    I'd be worried about cracking my ceramic by heat quenching too much ... I think that's a dangerous game.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!