Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Getting Temps down to 225-250?

JT$JT$ Posts: 1
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I am going to attempt my first brisket. I have know trouble getting my egg hot, I can't seem to get it below 300 to smoke it. I have been attempting to get all the lump lit and then bringing the temp down by closing the dampers. It seems to get as low as 300 and stops. Should I just keep waiting for it to go down? If so when I open the dampers a little to give it air; making sure it does not go out will it heat back up to 300. 
Any suggestions? 

Comments

• BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    JT
    When you lite your Egg, you want to stop the rising of the temp before it get to your desired temp. For example- when the lump has red edges, put the plate setter in, and close the lid. Leave the top daisy wheel off and the bottom vent wide open. When the temp gets to 190-200 close the bottom vent 1/2 way and put the daisy wheel on. When it gets to 225 close the bottom vent to only 1/4 of the opening and close top vent so only the little holes are venting. When it gets to 250 - close the bottom vent till it is only 1/8-1/4"
    You should let the Egg stabilize for 30 minutes without having to adjust the vents. Put the meat in and don't touch the upper or lower settings- temp will drop but recover in an hour or so. 
    Kent
    Madison MS
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Good suggestions, BBQ Maven. 
    @JT$:  It is not necessary to get all your lump lit.  For a low and slow cook, I fill to half-way up the fire ring, then I only light three small areas on top of my lump (10-2-6 o'clock positions). Once they have red edges, in goes the platesetter, a drip pan, if using, and the grid. I try NOT to have a big fire (use BBQ Maven's instructions about vent settings). Your fire will slowly burn down into the rest of the lump during the long cook.
  • jwh70jwh70 Posts: 5
    I fill the firebox full for a long cook and then light the middle with an electric charcoal starter. In about 10 min. the center is lit and then I open the bottom vent all the way with the top wide open and llet it get to 300deg then I put the adjustable vent on at the top put the platesetter  drip pan and cooking grate on. Iclose the bottom vent to about 2inches and close the top all the way with the daisy wheel almost wide open until the temp stabilizes at 240-250. It usually takes about 45min to get the temp just right before I throw the food on
  • YetiBobYetiBob Posts: 49
    For low and slow I light one area in the middle with my torch. By lighting everything you are getting way too much burn going at once.
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 1,315
    Plus 1 on YetiBob
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/
  • Actually, I found the best was for me to do low and slow without some sort of BBQ Guru device was to prepare a bed of charcoal leaving enough room for one chimneyfull of lit charcoal.  I get a chimeyfull going red hot, dump it in on top of the prepared charcoal, spread it around, add the plate setter, drip pan, grid and meat, and close the lid.  The temp started rising and I stopped it at 230 where it stayed for about 20 hours.    The secret of course is getting everything into the cooker immediately and closing the lid before the ceramic begins to heat up. 
    The Naked Whiz