Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg Mate Shelves

Royal CoachmenRoyal Coachmen Posts: 177
edited August 2011 in Forum List
Howdy again all...does anyone utilize the Egg Mate Shelves? Do they fit underneath the BGE cover? Are they sturdy?

I don't yet have the cash to throw together a table...but will eventually put one together. I'd appreciate input on the Egg Mates! Thanks!

Russ
·

Comments

• I use the egg mates on my large.  They fold down pretty easily and fit under the standard large BGE vented cover
    ·
  • They are very sturdy and fit perfectly with the BGE cover (I have the vented cover).
    Love me some maple.  Go Canadians.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,826
    You can build a table for less than the composite egg mates cost. My table for my larges is 62" by 24" and with 4*4 legs, 1*6's, and 2*4's I spent around $75 with the stainles 3" deck screws. I have the composite shelves for my medium and they are nice and they fit under the cover and its not even the new vented cover.
    ·
  • I was looking at the wooden egg mates rather than the composite. Does anyone have experience with those? When I build a table I want it to be a throne :)  so I'm slowly saving cash for that project.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,826

I had them on a large. The same as the composite as far as function just less space. Both types work really well and are simple to add and use.

·
  • Thanks for the input all. I just found the wooden shelves for $60 at a local pool store! To beat that, all other eggcessories are 15% off the entire month of August!
    ·
  • GeoGeo Posts: 53
    They work fine. Just put a few coats of marine grade varnish on them.
    ·
  • WazooWazoo Posts: 150
    Used them for 10 years now.  No complaints.
    ·
  • I had the composite shelves on my XL before I built my kitchen. They worked great and were easy to clean. However, they didn't fit under the cover very well. I ripped my cover in a few spots.
    ·