Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar table... Finished!

Options
Whittsend
Whittsend Posts: 20
edited August 2011 in EGG Table Forum

Sorry for the poor photo quality.  Between the CF lights and the camera phone, these shots are fairly bad.  There is a lot of glare and the color of the granite and table finish is off a bit....  Sorry!

The table is incredibly "over-built".  Mostly 2x6 with some 2x4 and 4x4 construction (all cedar).  With the granite pieces in place, it weights a TON.  (The slabs themselves must have weighed 70 lbs apiece)  And this is even before the 205 lb XL EGG that is being delivered on Wednesday.  :)

The color of the granite is a marbled brown on top and a flecked marbled black on the bottom.  Matching slabs would have been nice, but considering that I picked up the pieces for $25 each as remnants (no cutting necessary), it worked out well. I actually think the slightly different colors look great as they sit.

The EGG will rest on a pad of 18 firebricks that are inlayed into the mid level.  There will be a bit more firebrick coverage towards the front of the table in case some hot ash or coals escape.

I used Pittsburgh paints "Ultra" oil based UV protectant finish/waterproofer to seal the cedar.  I didn't want any colorant as I just wanted the cedar's natural grain to "pop".  I may have to recoat every few years, but I shouldn't have to worry about fading, cracking or peeling.

I'm certainly no carpenter, and this table is far from perfect.  But I thought it turned out well, I think it will hold up for a long time and I'm looking forward to seeing what my new EGG can do!  :)

Cheers!

1.jpg 48.8K
2.jpg 31.8K
3.jpg 36.3K

Comments