Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump reducing ring for the XL

Options
ChokeOnSmoke
ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
edited August 2011 in Forum List
We were talking about this in a different thread last week, so I thought I'd share my setup.

The ring & charcoal grate came from my "Weber Smoky Mountain cooker" that is now retired.
I bought a couple large "split lock washers" to attach the 2 parts together.
This way I can just lift the whole thing out before my next cook, shake the loose ash into my ash can,
place it back into the egg with the remaining lump, add some new lump, fire it up again!

I do all my cooks with this setup including high heat steaks and pizzas and also low and slow cooks.
The ring filled up to the top will last well over 14 hours.
The ring also gives me the luxury to move food off to the sides (around the edges) for "less direct" heat items like corn on the cob or potato wedges.

The biggest advantage to this is that I can clean the ash out after EVERY cook so I know I'm going to get a good consistent fire every time I fire up.

Here some shots of it:
Thanks for looking!

Packerland, Wisconsin

Comments