Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast

Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am determined to drop some lbs and since I do not like fish, boneless skinless chicken breast will be a huge part of my diet. 
I usually grill them on the bge direct but want to smoke some to give a little variety and not sure how long to expect them to take. 
I plan on smoking indirect & 225 - 250 does 2 hours sound about right? 
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• One alternative: I recently (and again this Thursday) did about 7 pounds of great big boneless skinless breasts from Sams.  I did them at 350 direct on a raised grid until they hit 160.   They turned out marvelous.  I did this without any smoking woods added, but I should think that an hour with a big old chunk of smoking wood going would add plenty of smoke.  You can also increase the smoke flavor by keeping the surface of the meat moist, so maybe you could spray them with some flavorful liquid once or twice.  (I'll assume you don't want to oil them in an effort to reduce fat in the diet.) 
    The Naked Whiz
  • When we cook breast in competition we do as the Whiz mentions (direct/raised grid) but pull at 155-157 and they drift up in temp during the hold period of 6-8 minutes.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• dunnharr
    dunnharr Posts: 45
    I cooked some over the weekend that I first marinated.  I then put them on a cedar plank (soaked in water at least an hour prior) at 350.  I pulled them off the plank when they got to about 140 internal temp (I think about 30 minutes) and put them directly on the grid to finish until they hit 160 (about 5-7 minutes).  They turned out great.
  • windnsea26
    windnsea26 Posts: 159
    I am in the same boat as PA_BBQ.  I am getting sick of Tilapia for my diet and need to go back to chicken breast.  Anyone have any good recipes they care to share?  I like it to be either garlic based or have a little bit of sweetness to it.

Thanks in advance.
    San Diego, CA
  • JasonP
    JasonP Posts: 9
    Just cooked some boneless skinless chicken breast last night used a little rub on the chicken.  Cooked indirect with a little smoke for flavor.  Put them on at 170 and run temp gradually up to 300.  Took about 35 minutes.
  • eggtopia
    eggtopia Posts: 91
    It seems like a great reason to eggsperiment.  I did some the other day raised, 350, indirect to 155.  Texture was incredible.  My advice is to keep it interesting by changing things up
  • tbk420
    tbk420 Posts: 70
    The local fruit stands here in Pa. sell both cherry and peach cider.  I use both for marinades on boneless, skinless.  They turn out great with a dusting of rub.
  • gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    Pure diet receipe:
    boneless skinless chicken breast, indirect, 1 glass of white wine with thyme or bay leaves or both in the dripping pan, a few chips of maple or apple wood, cooked to your taste (internal temp).
    You got the taste of the wine, but not the calories...
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • how You Do Indirect? I HaveA "Setter" . Or I Could Save That Questio. And Just Do A Direct Heat ON Thegrille. Ok Just That, Direct Breast On Grill! Thank You! I KnowWhy Input Is So Erratic AndRidiculous Looking!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I go indirect - 350 degrees -- season the breasts with Lawry's "Poultry Seasoning and Rub" and cook to 140 degrees internal.  Size of the breasts vary the finish time. 
  • blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    I marinate my chicken breasts in Italian Dressing (Kraft Lite Done Right) and they come out REALLY juicy.  Also, makes for a great chicken salad sandwich the next day (lite mayo).
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I've attached a master recipe from Cook's for fabulous breasts plus three different marinades/sauces. The sauce does have olive oil, but I go light on it. Ignore the grilling instructions; I go 350 raised direct. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    One comment on the smoke: chicken picks it up pretty quickly and (IMHO) can overwhelm.  I smoked some with just a few small chunks of apple wood.  After 45 mins the chicken was done and I was surprised how smokey it was....some thought too smokey.  Just something to consider...
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=10616434
    APL's boneless skinless recipe, best Ive had. an sear on cook top if you do not fell like screwing with a griddle.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have ruined both chicken and meatloaf by oversmoking it.  No smoke on these for me, the lump gives off enough smoke for me!
  • Here is my attempt at a chicken breast. I cooked it at 375 indirect with plate setter legs up. I pulled it at 155 and then covered it with foil for about 7 minutes. Before the cook, I lightly coated it in olive oil and Dizzy Pig Raging River. Yes I used the Digiq just for the fun of it. It was very juicy, but it just felt like it was missing something. Maybe next time I will marinade it in Italian dressing first. Not too shabby though.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    IMHO the best way to do chicken breast is to cube it up, apply marinade or rub, and cook it on skewers. I find chicken breast bland and so I like to increase the amount of surface area available for seasoning.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    I wouldn't cook it under 325 or so. It will absorb plenty of smoke. Two hours would be a lot. My experience is low and slow is not the route for poultry or fowl. I would also consider bone in breast and remove the skin. They stay juicier to me IMHO.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I'll do these for the family, 350 raised, dusted with some Tony Chachere's, cook until 160, pull and set for a couple of minutes, covered in foil while everyone sits. Sometimes I'll slice it for everyone into 1/2" slices and put them all on a serving plate. After it sets there's plenty of juice and the seasoning has just the right flavor, obviously season as you like.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    You can also slice it and serve with a little vinaigrette made with EVOO and lemon or even lime and chipolte. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia