Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(PICS) Egg maintenance and Pork Butt Cook

Spoon
Spoon Posts: 328
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I did a little maintenance on the Egg. I made sure all the nuts and bolts were nice and tight. Then put in my new Teltru thermometer:

My OEM felt gasket got a little crispy after my last couple of pizza cooks, so I decided to replace it with a Rutland gasket. Here the Egg with the old gasket removed, before using the 3M paint/rust remover disk on my drill:

I put the gasket on let it sit a few hours with the lid down and then started a low and slow fire for an pork butt. I put the butt on around 2a. When I got up at 8:30a the temp was exactly where I left it and the butt was reading 175. Here's what I woke up too (you can see the new gasket too):

I will post a finished pic when done. Sorry about the photo quality, they were taken with my iPad.
"Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon

Comments

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Pics look fine.  Was your glue dry when you lit your fire?  I'd be afraid of a glue smell.
  • Spoon
    The glue was pretty set and one of the methods to cure it is a low and slow fire. I let the fire go and get stable for more than an hour a half before I put the meat on. There was no smell to output, but hickory and apple. The gasket seems fine today, no issues.
  • Spoon
    edited August 2011
    Here it is finished pre pull:

It was rubbed with a mix of Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, Pineapple Head and Red Eye Express over a mustard slather. It took about 14 and a half hours at 250. The bone pulled out clean. We had the next door neighbors over with their kid and when you add our three to the mix it gets crazy, so no plated pics. Served with potato rolls cole slaw, tomato pie (al la Egg Juju recipe) with Eastern NC vinegar sauce and Carnivore Sweet for the non NC folk. It came out great, everyone was happy. Food Savered the leftovers and froze to take on a beach trip next month.
  • Great job!  That thing is serious.   :-bd
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Nice job on the pork butt!  I am glad you tried the pie.  We like it and hope you did too.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Spoon
    @Egg Juju. Thanks. We loved the pie, our neighbors did too. It isn't exactly diet food, but delicious.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    :))  No... definitely not diet food.  
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com