Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Safety Question..... Peanuts

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

ok ok i know there have been enough food safety questions and food safety wars on this board to kill a canadian moose. but i have never seen anything about peanuts.

i love boiled peanuts. if you live outside the south you may not get the chance to have them unless you do them yourself. and i have had some really bad ones. so i figured out how to make them myself. and they are pretty good if i do say so myself.

i love them cold as opposed to most people who like them hot. well i make mine in a crock pot in the garage. then drain them in a collander. stick them in a ziplock and refrigerate them. i have seen them in ziplock bags sitting on a counter in gas stations.

my question is how long should they be good? i know dry peanuts have a long shelf life because of the drying. but boiled peanuts have got to be diffrent right?

thanks and i hope this thread doesn't turn ugly

happy eggin
tb

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus R Cobb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• rockytopsc
    rockytopsc Posts: 856
    Options
  • BENTE
    Options
    wow no email i wonder what i did wrong????

and ways i finaly had to go buy more coach's.. i finally figured a way to use it that is irreplaceable and that is on penuts :-j :-c

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• rockytopsc
    rockytopsc Posts: 856
    Options
    never got an email?

Coach's is good on most stuff!  Boiled Pnuts just didn't do it for me.

FP said  a week in the Frig.
  • BENTE
    Options
    tell her thanks!!

yea i thought i should have gotten a email with your response. not from you tho..

try making the penuts with coaches and salt 50-50 really good

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hey @bente, +1 for storing in fridge up to a week per this link: 

http://www.ehow.com/how_5723450_store-raw-peanuts.html

I like them cold just as much.     :-bd

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I've had boiled peanuts exactly once in my life. I don't usually swear in public, so I'll refrain from explaining my reaction.  I have to think these were "good" (cough cough gag) boiled peanuts because they came from a little old lady who ran a B&B at the beach in North Carolina.  I don't know whether I disliked cold boiled peanuts more or if I disliked sucking the brains out of langostinos more.  Both tasted like salty filth to me.  Err, what was your question again?
    :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Both tasted like salty filth to me.  Err, what was your question again?
    Thanks Whiz... you have saved me from trying 2 things that many are telling me I should put on the list.   :)  I think I will move them back to the list with the medium rare warthog intestines I saw Anthony Bourdain eat last year.   :))  That would be the never try list.   [-X
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • BENTE
    Options
    well whiz and juj you just maybe missing something really good

thanks for the link buckwoody

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb