Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking temp - need help please

Options
weisenbergercj
weisenbergercj Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
i am having a hard time getting my egg's temperature low enough to smoke ribs.  it hovers around 275-300 with just a slit open at the bottom and a tiny sliver opened on top.  any suggestions?

Comments

• GMR1983
    GMR1983 Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you calibrated your thermometer?  The BGE thermometers can be way off....  Boil some water and check if it is registering around 212 degrees.  If it is off adjust the nut on the opposite side of the face of the thermometer.  
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't let the Egg get over 250, which means close the vents down like you describe before reaching 250. Once the ceramic is hot, it takes forever to cool. I'm usually down to 1/8" at the bottom, and less than half open at the top when I hit 225.
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    What's a slit?  There are times when I hold 225 and the slit is not big enough to slip a credit card through.  Don't be afraid to shut that bottom vent more if your temps are too high.

Calibrate thermometer using boiling water.

Make sure your lid closes tightly.  If you have air coming through the lid, it's hard to hold low temps.

225 should be easy with everything working right.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

dont forget if you are indirect the dome temp is going to be higher than the temp on the grid just above the plate seter. 250-275 is just fine.

it works for me anyway. and i have an xl also.

XL   Walled Lake, MI