Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with thick cut pork chops please

pokey
pokey Posts: 59
edited August 2011 in Forum List

Tried thick chops a few weeks ago and overcooked them, does anyone have a recipe or a blueprint they follow for thick cut chops?

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    How thick were they and how did you cook them? That way we can give you a better idea where to adjust your cook.

I also advocate a good investment in a thermapen if you don't have one. I got mine from a fellow Egger on these (and the other) boards, mollyshark.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • claycamp
    claycamp Posts: 59
    Pokey- I will 2nd spoon suggestion to invest in a thermopen. The best advice I got when I bought my egg was cook to tempature not time.

My favorite way to do thick pork chops is marinate them in cheap Italian dressing for as much time as you have. Cook on 400 until they reach 160ish
  • pokey
    Chops approx 1 1/4" thick, I do have a digital meat thermometer but the probe is about 6" long.  I'll try to use the tip and take off around 160ish.  To answer the other question, I cooked direct over 400, just a little too long.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    400 direct works for 1 1/4" chops. I have done some that were 2" where I had to do the Trex style (direct sear a couple min a side at 600, take off and bring egg temp down to 350 or so and put back on for a 10-15 min roast) 

When taking the temp go through the side towards the center and it will give you a better read as well.

"Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • pokey
    thanks for the info.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    @Pokey - don't cook them to 160*.  Much bigger chance of them being dry.

Pull them at about 137* (140* max), plate them and seal in foil. Rest for 10 minutes, then enjoy.   The temp will rise while resting and the juices will redistribute throughout the meat and not run out so much when you cut it.  It might be slightly pink indie, but 137* kills trichinosis (though there is essentially no trich in domestic pork anymore) and the outside edges will have any other 'bugs' killed from the 400* or so fire.

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I have a few tips for doing thick chops.

First, brine them for 4-6 hours.  This will help keep them moist.

Second, do a two stage cook.  Either sear first to get good color and then roast indirect to 140f internal temp OR cook indirect to about 135ish and sear at the end.

Third, don't cook past a final internal temp of 145f.  The USDA finally caved and corrected their recommended temps for pork "roasts" and that is what a thick pork chop is.

One of my favorite recipes goes back and forth from direct heat to a pan with cherry/bourbon in it.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • I always cook pork chops at 400 indirect until done. Going indirect allows you to get a longer cook without burning and keeps the chops nice and moist.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Pokey
    Anytime you can get the outside edges of the pork seared and brown - while keeping the internal temp under 140 you will have a winner. Like Missipp Egger said, pull by 140 and wrap... you will find the temp will rise 10-15 degrees after pulling. If you wait for 150 to pull - they will be dry!!!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    I always pull thick chops at 135* to 140*.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382

I usually pull at 137, a Thermopen is a good investment, my cooking inproved by leaps and bounds.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I agree with those on the lower end of the temp scale.  I use my Therma Pen and cook to 137 and rest.  I personally don't care for chops cooked over 145.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE