Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How long to cure a Rutland gasket?

SpoonSpoon Posts: 328
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am putting on a Rutland gasket today. How long do in need to cure it at 250? It shouldn't be a problem if I am doing a low and sloe butt tomorrow, should it?

Thanks in advance.
"Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
·

Comments

• ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,736
    edited August 2011
    I put my Rutland on, waited a few hours, put the lid back on and set the lid down.  I then let it sit overnight (20 hours or so) before firing it up for the first time.  Never heard of "curing it" at a certain temperature??
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • I put my lid on right after I finished installing it. Lit a low fire for an hour or so and then put it out. I cooked steaks the next day and haven't had any problems since. Sounds to me there is no "correct" way. I have pics of the whole process if you would like to see.
    ·
  • I put my lid on right after I finished installing it. Lit a low fire for an hour or so and then put it out. I cooked steaks the next day and haven't had any problems since. Sounds to me there is no "correct" way. I have pics of the whole process if you would like to see.
    I would like to see them.  Thanks.
    Love me some maple.  Go Canadians.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,442
    I put mine on and reinstalled the lid.  Let it set about 30 hours and did a T-rex steak cook with no problems.  I don't think the Ultra Copper needs the additional heat to cure, but as said above I think the correct way is the way it works for you.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·