Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine Concentrate

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All, [p]While cleaning out/organizing the freezers I found a quart of brine concentrate that was made back in Novemeber. I wasn't sure if it was still good, so I used it to make a batch for testing. The quart was to be added to seven quarts of water to make two gallons of brine for a turkey. I used about a 1/4 cup of the mixture and added 1 3/4 cups of ice cold water to it to make two cups of brine for some chicken pieces. It mixed very well, just like Kool-Aid. Let them brine for about four hours and cooked them over a 350° fire until up to temperature. This worked out pretty good and could not tell that the brine was old. [p]
I guess that from what I've learned, you can make a brine concentrate and freeze it. Then just mix it as you need it. It didn't freeze completly, so it was easy to use.[p]Ashley

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Ashley, I see no reason why not!! Salt is a preservative and should keep quite a while. The only caution IMO is to discard any used brine.
    I might try that and make up mine ahead of time. Saves cooling down time. Thank's.
    C~W

• Unknown
    Options
    Char Woody,[p]
    As you said "The only caution IMO is to discard any used brine", this is a must. I have seen folks try to boil it and save it, this would be a definate no-no.[p]Ashley [p]

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Ashley,What do you put in brine "concentrate" proportion-wise to do this?

• Unknown
    Options
    mollyShark,[p]I believe it is as follows.[p]1 1/4 cups of Kosher salt
    1 1/2 cups of Demerara sugar
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 Tbls apple pie spices
    1 Tbls poultry seasoning
    2 bay leaves
    1 Tbls pickling spice
    1 Tbls corriander
    1 Tbls onion powder
    1 Tbls garlic powder[p]Place ingredients in big measuring bowl and add enough water to make five cups. Place in pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. This will reduce down to about a quart. I put mine in a quart Gatoraid bottle. This was originally to make two gallons of brine, so use a formula of seven to one. A 1/4 cup of mix to 1 3/4 water for two cups, one quart of mix to seven quarts of water for two gallons.[p]This will probably work with any brine recipe. Just take the ingredients and put in a measuring bowl and add just enough water to make five cups and simmer down until you have four cups. If you make a concentrate for a one gallon batch, just use a ratio of three parts water to one part mix.[p]I hope this helps and works for you.[p]Ashley [p]