Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wondering if they are overcooked?

mfh
mfh Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Have two brisket flats...one just under four pounds, the other just under six.  Started them at 430am, and it is now 2pm.  They look pretty dried up but my thermometer was registering at 165.  Being in the stall range, I figured they were simply stalling...but they never climbed higher and it has been about five hours at 165.  Dome temps 240 range the whole time.  Opened the cover and did probe tests...all under 185 temps...meat not falling apart but seems dry.

I am wondering if I overcooked them.  I put them in foil now with some liquid but am wondering if I screwed them up...Could I have dried them out without getting them ever up to a proper temp?  Could it be stalled for that many hours?

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• Cooking a brisket flat is a very very difficult cook...why do it?   Easier than cooking a boot...but not by much. LOL   Find a better meat source that sells packer briskets, the point added to the flat makes a world of difference in cooking a tasty brisket. IMHO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2011
    Have two brisket flats...one just under four pounds, the other just under six.  Started them at 430am, and it is now 2pm.  They look pretty dried up but my thermometer was registering at 165.  Being in the stall range, I figured they were simply stalling...but they never climbed higher and it has been about five hours at 165.  Dome temps 240 range the whole time.  Opened the cover and did probe tests...all under 185 temps...meat not falling apart but seems dry.

I am wondering if I overcooked them.  I put them in foil now with some liquid but am wondering if I screwed them up...Could I have dried them out without getting them ever up to a proper temp?  Could it be stalled for that many hours?

Thanks,
    Matt

You were doing fine!  It just needed more time.  Briskets get up to 160 really quick and then stall forever!  My last brisket actually dropped in temp by 6 degrees in the "stall" range.  If your confident in your thermometer readings, next time, don't open the lid until it reaches 195.  Then foil (with a little liquid)  for 1-4 hours depending on when you want to eat.

Also, you can't tell anything by looks.  Briskets are the ugliest pieces of meat on earth.  Cook by internal temp only, let it rest in foil and you'll have a great brisket every time.  They really really get a bad (difficult to cook) reputation.  They really aren't that hard.  Trust me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Also, you can't tell anything by looks.  Briskets are the ugliest pieces of meat on earth.  Cook by internal temp only, let it rest in foil and you'll have a great brisket every time.  
    :)  That is so true.  Some of the best Briskets I have done looked like lumps of coal when I pulled them.  Now, granted I have always done packers,  but I'd think that flats are the same.
  • Don't forget to make burnt end sandwiches
  • mfh
    mfh Posts: 3
    Well - it came out great.  Foiling was the trick.  Used a bit of beer, and when I peaked again I added a couple dashes of wine...again, each was the closest liquid when I opened them.   

Thanks for all the comments...I am going to try and find a packer supply around here in Fairfax VA.