Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebox design

Options
AbqEgg'r
AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One thing I don't like about my BGE is the design of the firebox. They've made a hole right over the lower vent. When I stir the left over lump and then open the vent, a bunch of ashes fall out. Has anybody tried plugging this hole? How much would it affect the air-flow?[p]TR

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,[p]Good observation. That hole always seemed like it should not be there, to me. It does get in the way, like you state and I have noticed it is the hole that has the shortest route for air to enter the vent, avoid the fire (unless you have it piled really really high in the firebox) and then escape out the chimney. Wonder if you could seal it up with Woodys wonder cement/glue. Seems to me that it would be more efficeint without it there. It is also where my first crack in my firebox started from - no doubt from the cooler air rushing in and up to/thru that hole and out the top. Plug it and report back - I would be curious to see if you notice a difference.[p]
    Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    AbqEgg'r, Yes, you can plug the hole with some firebrick mortar. Those are air convection holes that allow the air to move up and around inside the firechamber in a uniform flow.
    I discovered my left over clay pot holders with a approx 1 inch lip and 7 to 8 inches around are perfect for a ash and ember catcher under the ash pit door. I used is to scrap ash into last night..and worked nicely. Now a permenant fixture..Might even paint it with a green enamel..:-)
    That reminds me..keep a eye out in the flower pot displays for some of those ceramic feet for pots..They come in different aquatic animal shapes..like frogs, lizards..etc.
    Shaped much like the ceramics for the egg.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,[p]I plugged mine with just a carriage bolt, two washers, and a nut. Just make sure the washers will cover the hole and finger tight is as tight as you want it. Oh yea, no galvanized parts, I used parts from on of my hell cans.[p]Ashley

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    Ashley,
    Thanks..I'm going to plug mine too. Firebrick mortar sounds interesting but I wouldn't know where to get any. Will use the bolt like you for now.