Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Quantity Calculation

Options
Eggcellent
Eggcellent Posts: 69
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking for around 40 people.  Does anyone have a calculation of how many pounds I need to buy per person? 

Comments

• boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Shrinkage will be about 50% so if you want to have a nice 1/3lb serving for each guest you'll need about 13 pounds cooked and 26 lbs raw. Butts are typically around 8 lbs each so you could cook three big ones or 4 smaller ones. Pork is cheap and really good reheated so I'd always go with more. The last thing you want to do is run out.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Different math, but same numbers.

I always figure about a 40% shrinkage, but then I also figure on 1/4 pound servings and that about half the folks will take 2 sandwiches. 60 sandwiches means 15 pounds of finished meat, so 25 pounds of raw meat, or (like the good drbbq says) 3 big butts becuase you don't want to run out and it tastes great the next day.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.