Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Boston Butt Quantity Calculation

EggcellentEggcellent Posts: 68
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking for around 40 people.  Does anyone have a calculation of how many pounds I need to buy per person? 

• boston_stokerboston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited December 2011
  • drbbqdrbbq Posts: 1,152
    Shrinkage will be about 50% so if you want to have a nice 1/3lb serving for each guest you'll need about 13 pounds cooked and 26 lbs raw. Butts are typically around 8 lbs each so you could cook three big ones or 4 smaller ones. Pork is cheap and really good reheated so I'd always go with more. The last thing you want to do is run out.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 763
    Different math, but same numbers.

I always figure about a 40% shrinkage, but then I also figure on 1/4 pound servings and that about half the folks will take 2 sandwiches. 60 sandwiches means 15 pounds of finished meat, so 25 pounds of raw meat, or (like the good drbbq says) 3 big butts becuase you don't want to run out and it tastes great the next day.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.