Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packaged meat gas

Options
IQthere4iam
IQthere4iam Posts: 106
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
So sometimes when I buy my porkbutt or chickens there is a gawd awful smell that comes when I open the package. I talked to my butcher about it and even though the meat is fresh he said sometimes the meat will let of gases in the packaging. Well when i did my butt the other day the smell was horriable, I rinsed and dried it but the smell still there. I preped the meat and it smelled wonderful while cooking but when i would bite into it I felt I could taste the smell. The wife said she couldnt soi think it was all in my head. But it ruined the butt for me.

Is there a good way to squash that smell before cooking? Is it just gases? Why only on some meat ( even from same place)

Thanks for any info.

Steve

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I had read once that the smell was related to the blood of the meat and that it was normal.  If I can find the story again I will post it. 
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    Vacuum packed meat (i.e. costco) often has a smell when you first open the package, but it should go away with just a quick rinse.  If your meat still smells bad after you rinse it I would think seriously about not cooking it / taking it back to where you bought it...not worth the chance, especially if you think you are going to "taste the smell" even it the meat is ok to eat.
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    Options
    One of the quickest ways to learn about this is to do fresh goat. The initial smell is just like the outside of the animal. Once this is gone, you will be hard pressed to find a more tender or tasty meat. It will then register in your mind, that unless you have a 'bad' smell, good things come from different.
  • Austex_Egger
    Options
    Mmm....  I have done tons of brisket, butts and ribs and never experienced a gawd awful smell upon opening.  Sometimes it is not the "freshest" smell, but thats about it.  If rinsing it doesn't do it, I agree with BarManBean,  take it back.